Camila closed her eyes and shook her head. She rested her hands on Lauren's waist. "No. Sometimes, I feel...so much, it hurts. But I don't mind." She opened her eyes, smiled faintly: "I wouldn't want it any other way."

"As long as you're sure." Lauren brushed the hair from Camila's forehead, then softly stroked her cheek. I want to give you more, I want to. I just...can't...yet.

"I'm sure." Camila grinned, stronger this time. "I have to go home and shower. I need to change for work."

"Yes, you do. You don't want to be late." Lauren raised her brows. "I've heard your chief is a ballbuster."

"Yeah." Camila shrugged into her T-shirt. "But I kinda like it."

Lauren's voice was honey warm. "Oh, really?"

The brunette didn't answer,glancing around the room in concentration. "Shit, I left my sneakers in Kyle's room." She glanced at Lauren in concern. "She shouldn't know I spent the night, right?"

"She'd probably be fine with it, but I'd rather tell her ahead of time if you're going to be here when she gets up. Plus, she's going to want you to stay for breakfast." Lauren gave Camila an affectionate pat on the rear. "I'll get your sneakers and bring them down to the kitchen for you. She won't wake up just yet."

"Great," Camila sighed.

While Lauren went to retrieve her Nikes, Camila pulled on her socks and headed downstairs. She hoped that Lauren was right about Phyllis. There was a big difference between knowing something in theory and being confronted with it in fact. Regardless of anything that Phyllis might have said, she was still Terry's mother, and Camila had taken Terry's place in Lauren's bed, if not her heart.

* * * * *

Phyllis , a cup of coffee in her hand and a smile on her face, turned at the sound of soft footsteps behind her. She blinked at the sight of Camila, shoeless and uneasy, framed in the kitchen doorway. Her untucked T-shirt was rumpled, her hair was mussed, and her eyes were apologetic. Camila. Lauren's new love.

For just an instant, Terry's face flashed into Phyllis's mind. That heart-melting grin that could charm the spots off a leopard. Oh, baby love. I miss you so much.

"Hi, Phyllis." Camila didn't move, watching Phyllis's face. "I'm sorry I took you by surprise."

"That's all right." Phyllis gestured to the coffee pot . "Do you want some?"

Camila shook her head. "I need to get home. I was just—"

Lauren appeared at Camila's side, sneakers in hand. "Here you go." She ran a hand down Camila's back, the gesture intimate but discreet, then stepped around her and into the kitchen. "Morning, Phyllis."

"Hi, sweetie."

While Camila leaned against the wall and tugged on her Nikes, Lauren poured coffee into a travel mug. She held out the mug to Camila. "If you're only going to have one cup today, it should be Phyllis's. Are you going to bike in, or do you want a ride?"

"I think I'll bike." Camila crossed the room and reached for the cup. Her eyes met Lauren's and; uncertain, she lifted a shoulder. "I'll talk to you later."