Chapter Nine - The Looming Danger

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, of course you wouldn't admit your mistake. I doubt you even know how costly these shoes were, that you just ruined."

She turned around, aghast at the eight-year old's words. 

"Aarav!" She reprimanded and felt her voice rising as she added, "Is this a way to talk?"

"What's going on here?" 

Payal's head whipped in the direction of Manorama and Devyani who were entering the hall after their quick visit to the temple. Devyani's surprised eyes were fixated specifically at Payal. "Why are you shouting, bitiya?"

By this time, Anjali, NK and Khushi also had reached downstairs, muddled at the commotion they were hearing.

Payal opened her mouth, just about to reply when Aarav jumped in.

"She spilled this stupid tea on my shoes and now, now she's shouting at me instead of apologizing." His tiny eyes again flared with anger.

Payal's eyebrows shot up at his comment. "First of all, it was an accident which happened due to your mistake as well. You were running recklessly. And second of all, I apologized until you started behaving insolently."

"And like I said, your sorry won't fix my shoes." Aarav shouted. His small voice screeched as it reached up a high note, making them all gawk at him for the disrespect he was showcasing.

"Aarav!" Anjali admonished as she moved to stand next to an exasperated Payal. "This is not a way to talk to your elders. Say sorry to her now." 

Aarav's eyes as if saw red at the intrusion and he blurted out, caring less about the meaning of his words. "And you're not my mom! So don't tell me what to do!"

Anjali gasped, feeling his words hit a sensitive spot in her. She clenched her jaw and simply look away from him, unable to say anything.

Khushi felt bad for her and after shaking her head at Aarav, she reached to hold Anjali's shoulder, whilst the rest remained too shocked at the amount of impudence such a small boy had.

"Di, it's okay. He's just a child, he doesn't know what he's saying." She said, herself uncertain to what degree that would justify the words that were escaping the said child's mouth. Anjali sighed, giving Khushi a small nod, followed by a small smile to convey she was fine. 

"Being a kid doesn't mean he gets to say whatever he wants!"

A sudden shrill made them all jump in fright and as they followed the source of the voice, they found Akash and Sheetal standing near the door. In front of them was a visibly angered Arnav. 

Anjali and Khushi shared a known look of anxiety as Arnav strode inside to stand in front of Aarav. He stared at Payal then fixated Anjali and Khushi.

"If you don't teach him the basic ethics now, it's unlikely he will ever change."

His heated stare directed to Aarav who almost recoiled back.

He took a step forward. "Apologize. Now."

Aarav kept his head stubbornly low, without moving a muscle and that fueled Arnav's anger, resulting in a loud glower from him.

"I said, APOLOGIZE NOW!" 

His shout ignite a yelp from Aarav, who visibly shook in his place, taking pity of which, Anjali rushed to calm Arnav. 

"Chotte, leave it. He's just a kid." She said, not wanting a eight-year old to see the rage of her brother. 

"And as Bhai said, that doesn't give him the right to say whatever he wants." This time it was Akash who quipped. Leaving his bag on the sofa, he moved towards his wife and held her shoulders. She looked at him, almost in surprise at his sigh of support.