Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

"How long does it take for a woman to get gussied up?" Chance complained with a grumble as he sat next to Paul on the bench outside the doctors. Chase was still leaned against the porch banister and hadn't moved in the near two hours they'd been waiting. Chance wondered if maybe the man was sleeping while standing up and he was contemplating picking up a rock and tossing it at him when Chase suddenly raised his head and lifted his hat.

"They're coming now." he stated and Chance snorted

"How do you know that when you were looking at the ground?" Chance demanded and Chase just shrugged and pushed himself off the post. Chance was mumbling under his breath as he turned and looked at the hotel and found all his thoughts ceasing instantly.

That couldn't' be Jane.... Could it? Chance had found Jane beautiful before, dirt, stained clothes, tangled hair and all, but cleaned up.... Damn, she was breathtaking. Her blond hair was pulled half up and it was shining and golden as it hung down her back in the sunlight.

The simple light blue dress with cap sleeves, tight bodice and low as could be and still be considered proper neckline, showed off her petite, slender figure. Her face was clean and glowing, the splattering of freckles on her nose and cheeks plain to see now.

She saw him looking at her and he saw a blush rise in her cheeks as she smiled, revealing the gap between her teeth. Chance felt his heart pick up a faster rhythm. He was pretty sure it was going to gallop right out of his chest if he didn't get a hold on it.

Chance wasn't even aware of Chase's movements as he grabbed hold of Leah's waist and pulled her to him. His eyes were only for Jane.

"You look... beautiful." he managed to stammer quite clumsily. Jane tilted her head and tugged up the bodice of her dress.

"I feel like my breasts are gonna fall right out of all these doohickey's I'm wearin'." she replied and Chance nearly choked on his tongue.

"I did what I could." Leah stated in an aside to Chase. "I can clean up the outside but there's not much I can do about what comes out of that mouth." Chase's lips twitched and he kissed her hair.

"You look real pretty." Chance said again, unable to get his brain to think of anything more intelligent to say. Jane reached out and shoved his arm playfully.

"What, was I ugly as sin before?" she teased. Chance shook his head quickly and came out of his daze. He crossed the remaining distance to her and offered her his arm.

Jane stared at his arm and felt a moment of panic. What the hell was she supposed to do with that thing. She heard Leah clear her throat and she looked over at the other woman.

Leah looked up at Chase expectantly and he raised his brow. She cleared her throat again, more pointedly at him and he sighed and held out his arm, which Leah wrapped hers through to show Jane. Jane nodded, let out a loud sigh of relief and put her arm through Chance's.

"I hope this impresses your mama. I kept my boots," Jane said as she lifted up the bottom of the dress to reveal her boots and her shapely legs up to her knees. Chance felt his mouth go dry and he was sure he looked less than intelligent as he nodded with his mouth wide open.

"Jane, you really shouldn't flash your legs in public." Leah said as she fought back an amused smile. Jane quickly dropped her dress and kicked the dirt with her foot.

"Aw hell I ain't no good at this womanly stuff!" she exclaimed with discouragement. Chance sent a pointed look at Leah and Chase and Leah nodded before leading Chase up into the doctors.