Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"I was so scared, Chase." she finally whispered, her voice muffled against his chest. "Yancy and I were standing there waiting on you and then suddenly he threw a sack over my head and choked me until I just couldn't stay awake." Chase's jaw tightened until it popped. So Yancy had put those bruises on her neck?

Chase would ensure that Yancy had a few bruises of his own before he died.

"I woke up tied in that room and everything hurt.... Tobias he came and spoke to me once during the day and when he left Yancy came and told me that he was sure you'd come but that if you didn't I should just mind Tobias and be his woman since I like injuns."

"He will die for what he did to you." Chase growled and Leah pulled away just enough so she could look up at him.

"Hasn't there been enough killing? Enough death?" she asked. "I thought I had lost you. I thought you were dead. But yet a piece of me just kept hoping, wishing and praying that somehow you were alive and that you would come for me...."

"And I did. So forget about all that happened and just focus on our future." Leah began chewing on her lip once again and Chase sighed.

"What?"

"What is our future going to be, Chase? Is is going to be gunfights, kidnapping and constant fear?"

Chase could tell by the look in her eyes that she regretted asking that question as soon as the words were out of her mouth. He ran his knuckles down her cheek and kissed her brow tenderly.

"No. You never have to live in fear. Our future is a cabin beside a crystal clear pool of water. It's barns and cattle. Chickens and pigs. It's our children running around. Tucking them in at night and then falling into our bed and loving until we fall asleep only to wake up every morning in each others arms."

A tear slipped down Leah's cheek and he captured it with his lips before frowning.

"Why are you crying?" She smiled and laid her hand on his neck, letting her fingers slip into his hair.

"That was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard."

"I meant every word." Chase promised.

"I know you did. You would never lie to me or say anything just to make me feel better."

"Only the truth, always." he vowed. "Now let's get some sleep. We'll have a long day of traveling tomorrow to reach Billings and your mother." Leah nodded and snuggled up deeper into his arms, knowing that wrapped in Chase's love was the safest place she would ever be.

***

"Paul." Chase called as the five of them rode toward Billing's the next day. Paul turned to look at Chase and Chase signaled for him to fall behind everyone with him. Leah was about to fall behind as well but Chase indicated with his hand for her to continue and she bit her lip and did as she was told.

She wasn't sure why Chase wanted to speak to her father alone but she was no longer worried about them killing each other. They had been remarkably civil to one another all day.

Leah caught up with her brother and Jane and smiled at the discussion they were having.

"Why the devil would it be proper for a man to wear this gitty-up and not me?" Jane demanded looking down at herself.

"Because..well.. You're a woman."

"How'd ya figure that one out?" Jane asked dryly. "Was it the breasts or the lack o' facial hair?" Chances' mouth stuttered several times as his eyes went up and down her body and Leah burst out laughing.