"I need to see them all at least once more." Leah admitted once the pain had subsided. "Trust me, I'm not delusional. I know that my being with you will likely be too much for my father to accept. He'll have a hard enough time getting past me running away that night, let alone me staying gone when I could have come home sooner. Knowing that I have chosen a man who goes so far against everything he believes will be too much for him. But I want to hug my mother and say a proper goodbye to them."

"I will support you in whatever you want to do, Leah." Chase assured her as he kissed her brow and then pulled the clean shirt over her head. "You know that I would stand beside you during the roughest of storms and not leave your side. If this is what you want to do, I will be there."

"I love you, Chase." Leah whispered and he placed a large calloused hand on her cheek. He gave the most tender smile she had ever seen on his face and then began to help her into her pants.

"Can you help me on that mare?" she asked, wondering if her side would ever cease throbbing.

"You will ride with me." Chase stated and Leah could tell from his tone that arguing would be futile. And besides she didn't want to argue. His arms were her favorite place to be.

Chance snorted as he walked back over and got onto one of the saddles horses.

"So you just listen to him, no questions asked and you fight me and father on every single thing we ever ask of you?" he demanded. Leah nodded as Chase pulled her up into his lap on the big black stallion.

"Yes." she replied.

"Can I ask what's so special about the damn savage?" Leah felt Chase tense and laid her head gently against his still bare chest and steadily beating heart.

"You have a lot of nerve, Chance. You are just like father." she replied sadly. Chance frowned.

"There's obviously more you want to say. You might as well spit it out." he grumbled as they started making their way through the forest.

"You have continuously insulted Chase. You have called him an animal, a savage and tried to shoot him. In turn he has put up with your insults, not insulted you a single time and even cut you free and saved your life. You tell me who the uncivilized one is." Chase didn't give Chance time to respond before he urged his horse faster and forced him to have to pay attention to the forest floor in order to keep up.

***

"I'm drawing a line." Chance stated firmly that night as he crossed his arms over his chest. "She is not sleeping in your bedroll with you."

"She is." Chase replied as he simply continued adding plenty of prairie grass to their bed in order to offer Leah more cushion for her side.

"No she is not. She is a proper lady and won't be acting as your whore." These words had barely had time to leave Chance's lips before Chase was holding a knife against his mouth.

"You speak that word and your sisters name in the same sentence again and we will be feasting on your tongue for our dinner." he snarled.

"Chase, calm down." Leah scolded as she walked over. "And Chance, make yourself useful and find some wood we can use for a fire. It's going to get cold tonight." Chance glared at Chase for several long moments and then slowly Chase removed his knife and Chance wandered off into the darkening evening, mumbling with every step he took.

"Honestly, Chase! Cut out and eat his tongue? I'm trying to make them see that you're not a savage but with outrageous threats like that...." Leah shook her head. Chase raised his brow and his lip twitched slightly.