Chapter 5 (Mother's Day)

Vanessa's POV

I shot out of bed and tried to think. "Where the hell am I?" I exclaimed, forgetting for a moment. Then I remembered. "Oh," I rubbed my eyes and yawned.

"Are you okay?" I heard Sam call. "Yeah," I yelled back. "Just peachy."

I walked out of my room and into the living room. I looked at Sam, who was cooking -or trying to- and listening to music on the radio. He was already changed into a dress shirt, suit pants, and a blue and black tie. "You look nice," I laughed. He turned around, realizing I was there.

"Oh, hey. How'd you sleep?" He asked, trying not to look at me.

I plopped on a chair, not self concious at all. I was in a pair of pajama shorts and an old t-shirt. It was his fault that he was so respectful. "Good, besides the awful dreams." I replied, trying to see what was in the frying pan. "You should go get dressed," He said, his cheeks turning red. "You're such a girl," I smiled, getting up.

"No, I like that," I froze when I heard Dean's voice. I looked at the doorway to his bedroom, where he leaned against the frame, shirtless. He had on suit pants like Sam. I looked away from his smirk. "I'd better go get changed. We have church," I mummbled, pushing past him and into my room. I slammed the door and made sure it was locked.

I shook my head and went to the dresser. I opened up a drawer -the little amount of clothes I had fit in just one- and took out a blouse and a pair of dress pants. I quickly got dressed and clipped my hair back. I still had makeup on from the previous day, but it wasn't smeared. I decided to keep it on and unlocked the door. I took a deep breath and prepared to face the day. And boy, it was gonna be a long one.

[Big] Dean's POV

I put on a shirt and clipped on a tie. I couldn't stop smiling, it was clear how embarressed Vanessa had been. Maybe this won't be such a challenge, I thought to myself.

Vanessa came out of her room, careful not to make contact. My grin grew wider. "You seem down. Maybe we'll stay here..?" I tried, not wanting to go to church. She shook her head. "We're going."

"I'll stay here," I sat on the couch and leaned back. Sam went into his room to get his stuff packed, we were leaivng when we got back. She looked up and smiled. She took a few steps, covering the space between us.

Oh God.

Vanessa's POV

You can do this. He has to go to church..

I straddled Dean, sitting on his lap, facing him. I wrapped my legs around his waist and laced my arms around his neck. "Are you sure about that?" He gulped, and seemed almost jittery. I grinned. "Maybe I'll go.." He murmered. I got up. "Let's go." I ordered. He got up slowly. "Dammit.."

Oh my gosh. I've only been with this man for two days and he's already turned me back into my teenagery self. And right before church!

****

I sat quietly in the back of Dean's 1967 Chevy Impala. We were all silent on the drive to the church. I hadn't been there in years, and I was determined to win God's favor. Maybe he could help me..

"We're here," I said, pointing to the old white building at the top of a hill. Dean pulled into a parking spot and Sam still didn't talk.

"You sure about this?" Dean looked at me with a concerned face. "Yeah," I said, trying to sound happier than I felt. I walked into the glass door, followed by the boys.

I nodded to the Reverent and silently slipped into a pew at the back. Sam sat on my left and Dean on my right. Sam whispered in my ear. "Any time you wan to leave, we can leave." I watched the Reverent walk up. "Why would I want to leave? It's not like it's a big deal-" "Happy Mother's Day!"

I stared at the front of the church, unable to look at Dean or Sam. The words 'Happy Mother's Day' echoed in my ears. 20 minutes had passed in what seemed like a minute to me. I snapped back into reality when Dean grabbed my hand.

I glanced at him, but he stared straight ahead like nothing had happened. I tried to focus, but I only caught some words. My mind flashed back to a week before.

"Hey Mommy," Deanna's small voice and smile made me grin. "What?" I asked in a gentle tone. Dean came in, holding something behind his back.

"Well, you know how Mother's Day is next week?" He asked. I nodded. "Yes." "We got you something," he started, but Deanna finished. "But we just can't wait a whole week to give it to you!"

"Happy Mother's Day!" My twins chorused happily as they handed me a small box covered with glitter glue and sequins, the word 'MOMMY' scrawled on it in messy handwriting. I looked up at their smiling faces, then back down at the box.

I opened it carefully and peered inside. It was a beautiful silver locket. "Open it," Dean said eagerly. I did as told. A picture of Dean rested on the left, while a picture of Deanna sat on the right. I put it over my head and gave the twins a big hug.

"I love you mommy!" Deanna said. "Me too," Dean admitted. I laughed. "Thank you."

I lost the memory, touching my locket. "But they don't. And it's soo hard to lose someone. To lose a husband, a wife, a mother. Can you imagine losing your mother?" The Reverent spoke. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Dean sneak a glance at me to make sure I was okay. Sam seemed to be absorbing everything that Reverent Kline said.

"Yesterday, a woman named Vanessa Martz had her house burned down."

"A kidnapper came to her house and took her twins while she was away from the house. Then that kidnapper burned her home down. She has no house, no memories, no kids. Can we say a prayer for this young woman, who's only 26 years old and has lost everything?"

I closed my eyes to try and refrain the tears from spilling out of my eyes.

I have lost everything.

*********

I AM SUCH AN AWFUL WRITER IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY. HOW DOES THIS HAVE SO MANY READS