Chapter 5

After about an hour, I got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen. I just need to stop thinking about the tracker. Maybe it isn't working, maybe Mr. Stark disabled it somehow.

I sat down at the kitchen table and put my head down on the table. I huffed in frustration and closed my eyes.

There is no way I can feel safe now. I mean if Peter is with me I feel safe, but without him I don't. I mean the last time I wasn't with Peter, I was almost raped. That was not something I want to go through again.

I raised my head back up and noticed some money on the table and a little note. I picked up the note. It said, "If you need to get any food while I'm picking up Peter, here's ten bucks. – May"

I smiled and put the note down.

Maybe leaving the apartment would be good for me. I know I have a bigger risk of being caught out on the streets, but I just need to keep my mind off the dumb tracker.

I grabbed a pen that sat on the table and wrote, "I'm going out, be back soon" on the back of May's note. I grabbed the ten dollars and got up from the table.

---

After a short five-minute walk, I approached a coffee shop. It was small and looked older. I walked into the coffee shop and it was almost empty. One person sat alone at a table with their hoodie on. I walked past that table and approached the counter.

I ordered just a black coffee and put vanilla creamer in it. I quickly got the coffee and paid 2.50 for it. I walked over to a table and sat alone while sipping my hot coffee.

I looked over to the counter and realized they had a TV. It was on the news. I immediately saw a picture of Spider-Man. Peter. What did he do now?

"Our very own Spider-Man saved the winning Decathlon high school students from an elevator malfunction earlier today from the top of the Washington Monument! Witnesses from below say that Spider-man swung into the monument by breaking a window and then saved the trapped students and teacher."

The screen switched from a video of Peter on the top of the monument to an interview with Ned. I immediately sat up in my seat and watched carefully.

"Yeah, all of a sudden the elevator stopped and the ceiling looked like something cut through it, then it started to fall and Spider-Man came into the elevator and was like, "I'm here to save you!" It was the worst and greatest day of my life," Ned giggled. I laughed at the last part.

"Hey Veronica, I bet your glad your friends survived that," I here from the person sitting at the other table. I looked over and saw the person staring at me. I recognized the person and got up to leave. It was Kurt Gordon. "Wait!"

I walked out of the shop and felt him grab my arm and turn me to face him.

"Why the hell are you talking to me?" I growled.

"I wanted to apologize about the party, I just couldn't help it you know, your my type," Kurt said. I rolled my eyes at the response and tried to rip my arm away, but he wouldn't let go.

"Please let me go, I have places to be," I grumbled.

"No, just tell me how you got that cut and I'll let you go," He said pointing to my temple. I ripped my arm from his grip and glared at him before turning around.

"No."

I continued to walk as I heard him walking behind me.

"Please, I'm a curious person. I've been dying to know."