Chapter 1

I'm at Fumika's house for our last study session before I fly out in two days to the US again for a BABYMETAL tour. There are preparations that I do when I cannot attend classes for a period of time, such as acquiring several workbooks that will help me in being on track with my peers who can attend classes regularly. A few of the aforementioned books are with me now as I had just bought them. I usually make more than one trip to the bookstore to lessen the load of my bag. Ayami told me long ago that a heavy backpack can restrict the growth of the wearer.

I finish writing the answer to an exercise question and take a break by looking across the table.

Fumika is a great study buddy. We ask each other for help and we give each other help. Today, though, she seems preoccupied with something. If she was stuck on a problem, she would have called for my attention by now.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

She's greatly startled. As she's settling down, she airily replies, "Ah, nothing."

I tilt my head. "You've been staring at the same page for the past five minutes. ...What's up?"

Fumika laughs a bit. "Can never escape from you. Well..." she starts, and then stops.

I audibly nudge her to continue.

Fumika watches one of the walls. "Have you thought much about dating?"

I blink at her.

Dating?

Honestly I have thought about it from time to time. My non-idol friends have dated before and I would sometimes hear a story from them about it. And some of the movies or series that I have seen or read have nice romantic scenes between two people in love.

Were they dating though?

I haven't thought much about myself dating someone else. Idols like Fumika and I cannot date anyway. In public. There are always loopholes.

Which reminds me that Fumika and I haven't taken a photo together that she can tweet or blog about recently.

I decide to answer Fumika's question for now. "Honestly, not really. How about you?" I lean forward and smile, hoping to bring a friendly and safe atmosphere so Fumika can be forthcoming with her thoughts.

It works.

"A lot, honestly. We're turning 18 next month. I wanna know what it's like to date someone."

"Ahh." I prop my elbows on the table and rest my cheeks against my palms. "Are we really at that age where we're expected to date someone?"

Fumika meets my eyes and then looks at the ceiling. "Hmm ... I don't know. But I know I'm not the only one that wants to know what it's like to date. Have you heard about Honjou and the other Fumika?"

I shake my head negative. "No, what is it?"

"They're secretly dating."

I blink. Multiple times.

Girls dating other girls isn't a foreign concept for me. I have seen the works by fellow Love Live fans who like to romantically pair Non-tan and Eri-chi together. But this is the first time I've known an actual girl and girl couple who are Japanese!

"Really?!"

Fumika laughs. "Yeah, really. The other Fumika told me they wanted to try it out."

"'Try it out?'"

Fumika nods. "Yeah. 'Before we graduate and see the real world'."

I tilt my head at that. I don't get it. How does that explanation correlate with dating?