7 - Ultimatum

Tom drummed his fingers impatiently on the arm of this throne. The Malfoys would be arriving any minute. Lucius would regretfully tell him he hadn't found anything and then Draco would sit quietly while Tom interrogated his familiar.

Oma was driving him insane bit by bit – and he should know, he'd been crazy for a little over twenty years. The Syren would ask him about Wizards in general, Harry Potter in particular and the war brewing in their world while skillfully evading his own questions.

She gave him pieces of crumbs, hints of innuendo, nothing to work with and nothing that even proved she knew anything at all except for the look in her eyes and his instincts.

The door to the throne room opened but instead of the Malfoys, a rather large Syren entered, slithering regally into the chamber. Knowing something important was going to happen, Tom stood and bowed.

"I am Celeste, Mother to Oma."

Tom straightened, "Welcome to my home, Great Lady, you honor us greatly."

Nodding again she coiled while the Dark Lord reclaimed his seat.

"I understand you are searching for a boy left in my forest some years ago."

Tom leaned forward, "Yes, Great Lady. Can you tell me of him?"

She cocked her head to the side, examining him intently as she scented the air.

"He is alive and safe."

The Dark Lord trembled in relief. He was still composing himself when the door to the throne room once again opened admitting the male Malfoys, Oma, and a third Syren of a size with Celeste.

"My son...Frost...wishes to learn the ways of Wizards. He is considering becoming a familiar."

Harry nodded his head at the use of his assumed name; his own name would raise too much suspicion even in his Syren form.

"Frost and I will spend a moon in this place. You will not bar us from any part of this nest, nor attempt to deceive or avoid us. If you leave the nest you will inform us and will not stop us from accompanying you if we so choose. At the end of our stay we will return to Harry and tell him of our time here. It will then be his decision to join the Wizarding world or remain in hiding. If you do not abide by my terms we will leave immediately and you will never find us or the boy."

Celeste fell silent after delivering her ultimatum, watching and waiting.

At first all Tom felt was anger, an all consuming rage. 'How dare she? HOW DARE SHE!' The arms of his throne creaked under his hands, his knuckles white with strain. The urge to Crucio the insolent serpent was nearly overwhelming.

A potion stained hand gripped his shoulder and Tom exhaled harshly, closing his eyes briefly while trying to reign in his emotions. When the last of his homicidal urges passed he opened his eyes and quickly drank the cup of water Severus handed him, knowing it was laced with a calming draught.

"I welcome you into my home, Great Lady, and will endeavor to assure you of my good intentions. It will also be an honor to educate your son in the ways of Wizards."

Celeste bowed her head, "We thank you, Tom."

The Dark Lord stood and approached the male Syren.

"Greetings, Frost."

"Greetings, Tom."

Reaching down, the Wizard held his arm out to the serpent and waited.

Frost scented the air around the Wizard before winding up the proffered arm and settling around his shoulders.

Tom felt his magic surge and he stumbled backwards onto the throne. He heard Snape cry out but could not answer him, caught up in the feel of his magic.

Bonding with Nagini all those years ago had been a memorable event but it was nothing like this. The bond exploded across his consciousness, setting his mind aflame with the awareness of Frost and that now the serpent was his. It was intoxicating but in his current state of health it was also exhausting.

He felt Frost slither to the floor when Lucius and Severus came to help him from the throne and practically carried him back to his bedchamber. He could barely keep his eyes open as the two men quickly stripped him. Tom wanted to protest when Lucius lifted him and placed him gently in the bed but could not summon the energy. He was only barely conscious of Frost joining him on the bed, and then nothing...