Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

She smoothed her hand over the picnic blanket that they sat on, and said, "This is comfy. I love it."

"Good. Stand up for me?"

She frowned slightly, but stood, and Drew did the same, kissing her once, before saying, "I asked this last night, but I wanted to do it properly."

A smile grew on her face, and she watched as he cleared his throat, then began. "You're so beautiful. You're so beautiful, and I think you forget that sometimes. I've loved you ever since we were kids, and I love you even more now. I know that, as we get older, I'm just gonna fall more and more in love with you." He sighed slightly, tucking her hair behind her ear. "You've been through so much, but I want to be there from now on. I want to make sure that nothing ever hurts you again. I want to be able to protect you for the rest of our lives together, but most of all, I want the whole world to know that you're mine, and no one else's."

He bent down on one knee, bringing out the little box that he had brought out three years ago, as a silent tear rolled down her cheek. "Elle Lilliana Hayes-Lockhart, would you do me the absolute honour of becoming my wife?"

"Yes," she breathed softly, and Drew smiled widely. He stood up again, taking the ring from the box and sliding it onto her finger.

"A perfect fit for the perfect woman," he said, kissing her hand, then her lips. "I love you."

"I love you more."

They sat back down, a warm buzz in both their stomachs. He wrapped an arm around her gently, and she held her hand up to the moonlight, enjoying the way the light bounced off the small gem in the centre. "It's beautiful," she breathed.

"From my mom's side," he responded. "It's, uh, not worth much, but-"

"It's from you, it's worth the world and more," she said, and he blushed.

They were silent, enjoying each other's company. "Y'know," he said, "I wanted to propose back when we were sixteen. The night I turned seventeen. I knew I wanted to marry you then, but I just thought... well, obviously you wouldn't have said yes."

"Maybe," she said. "I don't really know what I would've said back then."

"I... well, we were all so scared you were going to d-die that I wanted to marry you before that. Even if... even if it was only for a few months."

She was silent then, her hand taking his and squeezing gently. He let out a soft sigh. "I'm glad it didn't get to that point."

"Me too," she whispered. She looked up at him and he smiled softly, his dimples showing. "I couldn't live without you."

"Me neither."

They felt at peace, lying there under the stars. They knew there would be hardships still to come, but no matter what, they could pull through it if they stuck together. That's how they'd gotten through the past and it was how they'd get through as the future loomed ahead.

"I love you," he said softly.

"I love you more."

They shared a kiss under the stars, and soon, they went home, where a puppy greeted them excitedly.

Today really was the first day of the rest of their lives, and Drew couldn't wait.

<><><><><><><><>

Six months passed and Elle looked at the negative pregnancy test with a soft sigh.

It was April now, April of 2039. It was going to be Drew's twenty-fourth birthday soon, and it was a week before their wedding.