5

The pleasures of the flesh were secondary to their race

The pleasures of the flesh were secondary to their race. Something not kept as sacred between a couple as some others. The mating ritual included sex, but it was so much more. It was the melding of two bodies into one, the sharing of memories and experiences. Their bodies became hyper sensitive to every touch, their senses amplified so much so that Aghet could see every bead of sweat in perfect detail on Qrev's body. She felt every brush of skin against her like a fire heated blanket. In the darkness created by the night outside and the curtain pulled to hide the bed from view, Aghet saw that both of their bodies were glowing a faint gold.

Aghet had never experienced such a thing before, seeing how the mating ritual was impossible without a bondmark between the pair. She had also not felt the terrible burning that still remained in said bondmark. Flaring pain that came in spurts, disrupting the ritual's purity as it pressed upon Aghet thoughts of doubt. She knew, if Qrev and herself had actually cared for one another, it would have been an experience never forgotten. As it was, Aghet didn't feel as in tune with the world around them as most said she would.

Both of them had lain pressed against one another for the rest of the night, bondmarks touching and sending constant waves of pain through Aghet's navel. When she had woken from the stupor the ritual had put them in, she had an immediate surge of anxiety, but Qrev had been asleep, arms curled loose enough around her for Aghet to squirm out easily.

Before she checked the closet, she first checked her bondmark, breathing a sigh of relief. It was white, which meant the ritual was working. A week more, each night when the moon was at it's highest point, then she would hopefully be with child.

It would stay white for that long, as well. Raising many a remark from others.

 Raising many a remark from others