Chapter 6 - South America

Start from the beginning

How was his mother? Kechi himself, how was he coping?

Were they all missing him?

What would his father do in his situation? He got up and paced back and forth a few times, thinking. Trying to find a solution.

He could make a reverse charge call to his father and report his loss. That would be easy, he thought.

He recalls his father's often words of encouragement. The one man he calls a genius of a father.

It was him who always made it his duty to remind his children even when they hadn't forgotten; that there were more ways than one to solving problems that may arise.

The thing is, he tells them: 'You only have to find which way or method that resolves the problem. That is the solution. Then go ahead and initiate appropriate action to replace the problem with your solution. Problem is solved.'

If he called home, he reasoned, it would mean his dependency once again.

His mother would love it. It was no secret she believes it would all end in tears.

He wasn't crying. Well, not yet.

Although he was feeling the pressure after his loss, the idea of returning to his parents with a defeated face wasn't what he had in mind. As a matter of fact it was exactly what he did not want to see happen.

He wanted to soar. To be the man capable of dealing with things the best way he could, no matter the difficulty.

He was thousands of miles away from the comfort of home and family support. But this was his mission.

To become self-reliant as he desired, he must endure to sort his problems all by himself. Just like his father would.

He sat down again and thought very hard. There's more ways than one! That's right. So his father says. But right now, he was really having a tough time trying to figure out which one.

He paused.

And then his eyes suddenly came alive like he'd discovered the disappearing light at the end of a tunnel. Or resolved the riddle of the purpose of the black hole theory.

What initially seemed like a random idea has taken root in his mind. He only needed to tidy up the rough edges to transform it into the perfect plan.

He visualized the process in his mind's eyes in which he made his own pieces to fit the jigsaw. He was clear on how it would work. How about execution? That would be as easy as eating custard donuts, he thought.

His feeling of excitement was immense. And then he did something totally out of sync with his usual character. He clenched his fist, aimed intently at a partner no one else could possibly see. And then threw one practice punch.

Unsatisfied as yet, he began a countdown; three, two. On the final one count, he drove his right fist forward, harder.

What a punk! He punched thin air.

"Yes! Solution, solution, finally!" he cried happy.

Later, he proceeded to act out his plan.

Firstly, Edan had to identify which bay his flight aircraft will be loading from.

As night falls and the cloak of darkness spread across the land, he gathered his suitcase and headed toward the loading bay. A couple of men wearing high visibility jackets were outside the door chattering and laughing.

One said something to the other and then pointed to Edan's hiding position. His heart nearly stopped.

Luckily it didn't.