When the Clock Strikes 12 (Newt Scamander)

Start from the beginning

It was my turn to look away. Pushing away from him, I made my way towards the sink and cast a quick glance to the clock. He'd arrive any minute now. Turning the sink on, I began to wash the dirty equipment when I heard Theseus clear his throat from behind me.

"You know you need to marry," he said gently from behind me, his words tentative. "We've been over this countless times."

"Drop it Theseus," I said quietly, not willing to fight him. There was no more fight left in me. Letting out a steadying breath, I gripped the counter for a moment before continuing to wash up. "Please - not now."

"You can't keep this up for long," he warned with obvious concern. Theseus had always had too big of a heart in his chest. That was precisely the reason that I didn't tell him that I could feel myself beginning to grow lightheaded. Without showing an outward reaction, I breathed steadily until it faded. I'd grown a lot better at hiding things.

"We'll cross that hurdle when we come to it."

I could practically feel him narrow his eyes at me from his spot by the stove. But before he had the opportunity to say another word, the doorbell rang. Turning the tap off, I looked to Theseus.

"Will you get that? It's probably Newt."

He nodded reluctantly, heading to the front door. The moment he had left the kitchen, I crossed the room to rifle through the potions cabinet. Finding the potion the healer had prescribed, I poured out a single dosage and tipped it down my throat. My head cleared and I vaguely listened to the two Scamander brothers as they caught up in my dining room.

I heard Newt ask where I was as I shut the cabinet. Walking into the dining room with a smile, my eyes instantly went to the wizard settled across from Theseus.

"Did you miss me?" I teased, coming to a stop behind Thee's chair. Newt grew red under my eyes and I grinned, leaning against the back of the chair. "I'm only teasing."

"How have you been?" Newt asked after clearing his throat, "I haven't seen you in a while."

"I've been better," I admitted truthfully and before he could think further on my statement, I hurried on, "Besides, whose fault is it that we haven't seen each other? You're the one that's been traversing the globe, looking for magical creatures."

"I tried to get back in time for your graduation -"

"Don't worry about that," I reassured him. "Now, why don't you go and freshen up? I'll bring the food to the table."

As Newt went to do just that, my mind instantly went to his parents who had both been called away on business and, as result, were unable to greet their youngest son upon his return home. I had offered to do it instead since mother and father were both called away from home too. Of course Theseus, overprotective as he was, took time off work to make sure nothing happened to me whilst I was alone.

When Newt returned to the dining table, I listened quietly as the two brothers spoke to each other. I blushed prettily when Newt complimented my cooking and swiftly dodged the topic when he asked me why I was picking at my food. I had long since lost my appetite. Theseus threw me a concerned look and I turned my attention to the younger Scamander brother who cast a glance between his brother and me. During the lead up to Newt's return he had pestered me about my finally telling Newt but I wasn't sure if I was ready for that yet. I just knew that the way he looked at me would change.

And that would kill me before this curse would.

**********

Mother and father once again, had business with the Scamanders and had been invited to their family home for dinner. Because the older Scamanders were fully in the know, they extended the invitation to me as well. Mrs Scamander had ushered me into the room the moment I appeared through the floo and did nothing short of wrapping me in cotton wool as she settled me into an oversized armchair.