Chapter 2: Crosswalk

After walking the dogs, and being paid, Mable began the long trek home. She awaited for the crosswalk to show the familar white symbol to cross. She hummed a little tune and swayed side to side.

"You droped this?"

A small scream flew from Mable's mouth as she jumped and turned. Behind her was a shocked man that she had seen from the Diner. He held her black wallet in his right hand.

With a hand on her chest she advoided his eyes. "Sorry I didn't hear you. Yes, that is mine, thank you." She reached out and retreived her wallet. It must have fallen out of the small back pockets of her jumpsuit.

There was silence between them. Mable cleared her throught as the man came to stand beside her. "Today is a nice day." The weather? Your going to start with idle chit chat? Mable silently prayed for the light to turn faster.

"Yes the weather is beautiful." The man chuckled. He glanced down at Mable with a look of confusion. "May I ask why you are dressed...like that?"

Mable's cheeks flushed and she pursed her lips for a second or to. Did she look weird? Of course she did, she was dressed like a janitor for crying out loud!

"I walk dogs," she said shifting in place. "This keeps my good clothes at home from getting ruined"

The light on the other side finally changed. The man let Mable walk ahead first. "That must be a fulfilling job. I am allergic to dogs and cats. It's the dandruff I think."

"Yeah," Mable shrugged. "Most people I know that are, that is the reason."

"Glad to know I'm nkt the only one." Mable smiled bright to herself. They were actually having a conversation! Stay cool Mable. Don't get too excited.

They began to approach the Dumpling Diner. "So," Mable began. "What do you do? What is your name?"

The man stopped in front of the Diner with a serious expression. "I am just a normal person trying to get by. As for my name, it is Sherman."

Ouch, didn't like when I asked about a job. Mable attempted to lighten the silence that had grew between them. "Just Sherman?"

The man smiled. "Just Sherman."

Mable gave a soft smile. "It was nice to meet you, Sherman. My name is Mable."

Not So Boring Afterallजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें