Chapter 5

Waking up, I turned over, opening my eyes. As my eyes adjusted, I realized that Maven was no longer next to me. I was instantly on my feet, my lightning already running through my veins and ready to wreak havoc.
    "Relax, Mare." I turned around quickly to see Maven doing pull ups on a tree branch... shirtless. My breath hitched in my throat. The last time I saw him like this was during my imprisonment, yet I couldn't take my eyes off him. He dropped down and wiggled his wrists. "I am not here to hurt you." He gestured to where I had abandoned his bracelets on the ground. I quickly picked them up and held them close again. He began to get closer and I was reminded of exactly who he was. I tensed up, but he just breezed past me and picked his shirt up from the ground, sliding it over his head. "Did your dreams give you any answers to our little plan in the making?" I took a deep breath, the answer ringing in my head no matter how much I wanted to hate him and this plan.
    "As much as I hate that I am saying this, you need to denounce yourself so if I need to be there, okay. I will go" Maven seemed to be relieved as he rushed towards me and took my hands in his.
    "Thank you, Mare. You don't know how much this means to me." My heart leaped and I fought the urge to pull away, his grip feeling too similar to the manacles that almost destroyed me.
    "We should get going. I still need to complete this mission before I go to the castle with you." I said, trying to subtly pull away. He got the hint and released me. I let out a shaky breath.
    "Right. Yes, of course. Let's go then."

    We walked on for hours until signs of civilization finally came into view. It wasn't what either of us were used to. There were tents made from leathers and the light came from torches shoved into the ground. I had to grab Maven's arm to stop him from stepping into the clearing and risk ruining this mission for me.
    "I told you, you can't go into the village." I snapped as I pull him farther back into the trees, where we would be safe for now. "What I want you to do is go back. Go to the border. Wait for me and I will be there in a week." Maven's eyes darkened and his relaxed smirk turned into a frown. He sighed and I was sure he hated being told what to do, especially a red.
    "Okay." His blue eyes met mine. He paused, letting himself think of whatever he was going to say next. "Goodbye Mare." He finally said, turning to walk back through the thick cover of trees. The weight of his bracelets in my hand made me jump and call him back. Maven turned, excitement lighting up his darkened face.
    "You can have your bracelets back." I held them out to him. He takes them but disappointment is clear on his face.
    "I'll see you soon." I say before I can have the nerve to stop myself.

    The mission was a frustratingly hard-earned success. The people of the village were weary of me but once I convinced them to lead me to the Newblood, Eliza, she agreed to come with me to train, with the promise that she would be able to come back and visit her family. I wasn't sure if I or the Guard could keep that promise but it gave her hope and turned her to our side. Being from this place, she demonstrated much better survival skills than I did and we made it back to where the plane dropped us off in half the time. A few hours after getting there, the hovercraft came back and we went back to the base. Eliza was sent off to get toured around with Kilorn and start training while I went back to my room.
    Cal passed me on the way there and my heart lurched when our eyes met for just a moment. I silently prayed that he would forgive me after all of this was over.