16: End of a Relationship

We go back to Hogwarts tomorrow and everyone is worried. We're all worried about how Harry is going to handle going back. He told us that he would be fine but after what he attempted none of us are so sure. Draco has been staying with us too watch over Harry incase anything else happens and we all agreed that that would probably be the best course of action. Neither him or Ron have left him alone after what happened, which is rather surprising. I didn't expect Ron to be this overprotective about it. They're honestly acting as it they're a couple rather than Ron and Hermione are and Draco and Harry. That's when I connected some of the dots. Ron and Harry have always made up excuses to be alone together, before everything happened and after. Before it was always bullshit about practicing for Quidditch, even when it wasn't Quidditch season. Now it's just that thy want too talk about stuff that doesn't concern the rest of us. Hermione and I have talked about this a couple times but we've decided to just leave it and if they want too tell us what's actually going on they can.
"I'm considering ending things with Ron." She tells me one day when Ron and Harry are off doing god knows what.
"What? Why?" I ask, surprised by her sudden confession.
"He seems to care more about Harry than us, and this isn't something that just started happening." She explains and I knew at the back of my mind that their relationship wouldn't last, if Ron and Harry kept acting like this that is.
"Well, he'll still care about you as a friend if you do. And I'll still love you like a sister." I say, not caring if she's in a romantic relationship with my brother or not.
"Okay, I might do it tonight." She says with a nod, and I know that she won't be coming back from this decision, meaning that she's going to do it no matter what anyone else says. "I hope that he doesn't take this the wrong way."
"Me too."

~*~

"Ron, can I talk to you? In private? It's important." Hermione says nervously to Ron later that evening, when him and Harry aren't frolicking through the fields or whatever the hell that they do when they're alone together.
"Yeah, of course." He agrees and the two leave the room and head towards Ron's room.
"I wonder what they're going to talk about." Draco says indifferently, but I can tell that he's a little bit curious as to what they're about to discuss.
"Well it sounded important so I guess we'll just have to wait and see." I say, feigning innocence, as it isn't my business to spread.
After a few minutes of awkward silence both Ron and Hermione walk back into the room, both looking a mix of sad and relieved.
"So, what did you guys talk about? Was it something bad?" Harry asks, taking their expressions into consideration.
"We've both decided that it would be better if we were just friends." Ron explains and I'm surprised at how calm and mature he's being.
"Oh." Draco says awkwardly, eyes focused on Hermione for a reason unknown to me and probably everyone else in the room other than those two, and I make a mental note to bring this up to her later.
"Yeah." Hermione says, sounding even more awkward. "Well, how about we talk about something less sad and awkward?"
"Good idea." Ron agrees and they both quickly fall back into their roles of best fiends rather than lovers.
The rest of the night is filled with lighthearted banter and questionable touches. Ron and Harry can't seem to keep their hands off of each other and it raises the question of why they're doing what they're doing. After a couple of hours both Draco and Harry retire to their room, leaving it just Ron, Hermione and I.
"Ron, can I ask you something?" I ask, and r seems as if Hermione was about to do the same thing.
"Yeah, I guess." Ron says, and he seems nervous for some reason that I don't know of.
"Why can't you and Harry keep your hands off of each other?" Hermione asks the same exact question I was going to ask.
"Oh, uh, please don't tell anyone about this. Especially Draco." Ron says and he sounds more nervous than I have ever heard him in my entire life.
"Of course. We promise." I say, knowing that neither Hermione or I will say anything to anyone about this.
"Harry and I have been secretly seeing each other ever since fourth year." Ron admits, shocking both Hermione and I ask we never anticipated this to be his answer to our curiosities.