Stop and Smell the Roses

Castiel waited anxiously, taking peeks through his blinds every now and then, hoping to spot a black 1967 Chevy Impala. Tonight was the night his boyfriend would be picking him up for a lovely date. He didn't know what exactly, his boyfriend was keeping it a secret. 

While Cas was attempting to fix his untameable hair - and failing miserably - in the mirror, he heard the sound of someone shutting a car door. Upon further examining through his bedroom window, Cas caught a glimpse of Dean just before he walked under the roof of the front porch, out of view. Moments later, the doorbell echoed through the grand foyer and Castiel came bustling down the staircase and was out of breath by the time he reached the door, having to lean against it as he swung it open.

"Hey, Cas," Dean chuckled at the slight mess of his boyfriend against the doorframe.

Castiel got lost in the wonders of those shining green eyes before huffing a response, "Hello, Dean."

"You ready?" Dean smiled.

Cas only nodded, trying to catch his breath, and the two headed towards the car. Being the gentleman that he is, Dean opened the door and let Castiel slide in before sliding across the hood to the driver's side.

~~~

The two of them sat, smiling, as they rode along a gravel road. Dean was humming to himself, tapping on the wheel, ocassionally throwing in a line of lyrics or a piece of the chorus.

"Why are you so happy?" Cas was curious the entire trip.

Dean beamed over at him, still tapping, "You know I love you, right?"

"Not as much as I love you," Cas blushed, staring out the passenger window.

The car slowly came to a stop and Dean whispered towards Cas, "We'll see."

Dean popped out of his seat and made it over to the passenger door to hold it open. Cas recognized the surroundings immediately once he stepped out.

*Flashback*

The two boys were sitting on a swinging beanch in front of a lake, the sunset reflecting on the calm waters.

"So," the blue-eyed boy tried to start a conversation.

The green-eyed boy awkwardly chuckled, "So."

"I should probably head home soon," Cas looked out over the water.

"So soon?" Dean slightly whined.

Cas laughed to himself, "It's been hours."

"Every hour with you feels like a minute," Dean blushed as the words flicked off his tongue.

"Why with me? What's so special about me?" Castiel kept his eyes on the water, focused on a school of small fish.

"I'm not sure yet," Dean shifted to face Cas, "but something tells me I'll find out."

Cas turned his body towards the green-eyed oby, "Oh? How do you expect to find out?"

"Like this," the green-eyed boy whispered as he leaned in, lightly pressing their lips together.

*Present Day*

It was the park where they had their first kiss, exactly a year ago.

The two strolled along the sidewalk lining the lake, hand in hand. They came across a bare rose bush without a single bud.

"I wish the roses were in bloom," Castiel sighed.

Dean gave his hand a little squeeze, "Don't worry, they'll be in bloom soon enough."

Once they approached the bridge that reached the other end of the lake, Castiel gasped. The bridge had been laced in white Christmas lights, and at the other end of it stood a man in a hot air balloon with the basket door open.

"What is this?" Castiel stared back at Dean with his mouth agape.

Dean started towards the other side of the bridge, Cas following behind with their hands still locked together, "Part of your surprise."

Dean helped Castiel up into the basket of the balloon and he curiously looked over the basket as it lifted from the ground.

"The sunset looks even lovelier up here," Cas leaned on the side of the basket watching the sky.

Dean came behind him, wrapping his arms around Cas' waist and kissing his cheek, "Not as lovely as you."

They stayed like that for what felt like mere minutes, but in the real world it was an hour or so. The sun was finally beginning to drop behind the grassy hill on the other end of the empty field. Dean knew it was time.

He gave the signal to the pilot, who nodded back at him. He began to lower the balloon.

"Is the ride over?" Castiel frowned.

Dean smiled against his cheek and unwrapped his arms, "Not yet."

Castiel kept watching over the field, watching over the blooming sunflowers, all facing the setting sun. Suddenly, he spotted a rose, and another, and another. Soon, he took sight of thousands upon thousands of bright red roses.

Finding it a bit strange, Castiel squinted down at the roses. The balloon began to rise, giving Cas a full view of the field, and his jaw dropped. All the roses were planted perfectly to read Will you marry me?

Castiel spun around to find Dean down on one knee. The black box in his hand was sporting off a glimmering silver and black ring.

"I guess the roses are in bloom, huh?" Dean grinned.

Tears of joy stained Castiel's cheeks as he gave his answer, "Yes."

Castiel picked up the ring, and before he slipped it on his finger, he noticed something. Along the inside of the ring, it had been engraved.

Stop and smell the roses.

"Do you like it?" Dean got on his feet.

Castiel pulled him in for a tender kiss, "I love it."

"Well, I love you," Dean kissed him again passionately as the balloon lowered towards the ground.

Even the pilot was in tears as the two exited the basket, not being able to get enough of each other. As the pilot took off, he watched as Dean carefully picked a rose from the field and handed it to his fiancé, giving him a kiss on the cheek as the sun reached it's final hour.