💕Chapter 1💕

The heart wants what the heart wants

Those were the words I had been staring at on the blank page in front of me when suddenly Jenifer, my roommate and best friend, burst into our room.

"Oh baby how far?" she said sounding a lot more cheerful than she usually is. She had a very bubbly and cheerful personality.

I hissed loudly and continued to stare at the words trying but failing to ignore her.

"Are we fighting ni?" she asked plopping down on the bed beside me.

"Don't you understand the concept of 'personal space'?" I asked her drawing air quotes with my hands to emphasise the words, personal space before shutting the book that was in front of me.

"Ah! I'm sorry o. This one that you're acting uptight. Was I the one that asked your imaginary boyfriend to break up with you?" she teased me and I scowled at her.

"Pele o. What happened to you? You're too serious today." she said with mock concern obviously trying to tease me.

"Abeg! Free me jare. You think everybody is playful like you, abi?" I said trying to get her to leave me alone but Jenny is as stubborn as they come. Once she's determined to do something there's no stopping her.

"At least I know how to have fun. I can't say the same for you. Always reading" she said leaving my bed to get some clothes from the wardrobe. "Aren't you going to get ready for the social party? Or you want to miss this one again like the last time?" she was staring at me inquisitively anticipating my response.

"I'm not going to be in attendance" I mumbled and she started laughing.

"What's so funny?" I asked only to be replied with more laughter.

"You're asking me what's funny?" she said in between her laughter.

"Is that a problem?" I asked obviously not getting the joke

"What is funny is that you think you have a choice" she said erupting into more laughter again which only earned a frown of confusion from me.

"Auntie you're going o. Whether you like it or not. Or is this how you want to spend your last days in school? Mrs bookworm! You can't try that one with me this term o. I am ready for you like mad. We're in SS3 now. You have to live a little. Take" she stretched out a peach skirt to me. "It will go nicely with that your black top and black jacket. Besides the skirt is no longer my size" I had refused to collect the clothes from her so she ended up dumping it on the bed.

"There's no escape o Daniella. You're going to that party whether you like it or not. The Principal even said it is compulsory for all ss3 students to be in attendance. Or did you keep your ears under your pillow when he was talking? He even said all prefects should be there. Any prefect that is not available would be punished. At least if all other prefects don't go shouldn't the head girl be there?" she said mocking me.

"Fine. I'll go"

"It's not like you had a choice to begin with" she said and I muttered something incoherent under my breath.

"Good. Will you shower?" a gleeful expression was on her face.

"No. I'll just change"

"That's my baby!" she said squeezing me in a tight hug.

"Let me take my bath so we can dress up and go." she said taking her towel and heading for the bathroom down the corridor.

Immediately she left I picked my diary and hid it under the bed and then I made sure my bed was properly laid before picking out my clothes. The skirt Jenny gave me was a peach leather high waist skirt. It has a series of white beads arranged all over the skirt. The waist was fitted on my stomach an the skirt spread out and stopped just a few inches above my knees. I brought out my black sequence crop top and a short peach leather jacket my uncle got me for my last birthday. When I was done I sat down on the bed thinking of all the trouble Jenny had gotten me into before I finally fixed off.

***

Jenny had already had her bath and she waddled into our room, her slippers squeaking as she moved. My other roommates, Cynthia and Theresa, were already in the room chatting excitedly about the party.

The loud chatter of their voices had woken me up. I was on my bed reading the latest Sidney Sheldon novel I had borrowed from the library oblivious to everything else. I was so engrossed in what I was reading that I hadn't even noticed that Jenny was already beside me.

"Madam! What's wrong with you? Why are you not dressed?" she asked standing over me arms akimbo. It was then I realised she was already fully clothed in a peach dress that stopped a few inches above her knees. She wore her black ankle boots a black leather jacket. The peach really contrasted well with her skin colour, so well that I started to admire her dark complexion. Black is beautiful indeed.

"I was waiting for you now. I didn't realise you guys had dressed up already" I said smiling but she only gave me her game face.

"Look at this one o. Who is smiling with you? My friend get dressed jo." she said handing me my clothes which I took grudgingly.

I was dressed in no time and I got a few oohs and aahs from my friends. They complimented my dressing. They said I looked cool in the skirt. Then Jenny forced me to get a make over. She had done her make up and she insisted I do mine too.

She sat me down and painstakingly applied the primer, concealer, contour, foundation and powder. Cynthia did my brows and lashes while Theresa did my lips. When they were done with me I looked so unrecognisable I couldn't believe it was my face that was in the mirror.

Jenny mocked me when she saw the look on my face.

"Makeover yii maa ga ju. Dani ma ti di princess." (This makeover is something else. Dani has become a princess). Jenny guffawed and earned a frown from me.

"Babes this calls for a selfie o" Theresa shouted and Cynthia brought out her tablet. We took a lot of selfies before we decided to go to the party.

I had a feeling it would be a long night and I wasn't the least bit sure what to expect.

What on earth has Jenny dragged me into?

Soon we all exited the room. I made sure I was the last to leave slipping the book I had been reading secretly into my purse away from Jenny's disapproving gaze. I ran out of the room making sure to shut the door behind me.

Don't judge me, I need some entertainment.

I'm not a party kind of person so I need something to keep my sanity.

A/n:

I know it's kinda short but whatever the next chapter will make up for this one.

What do you guys think about Daniella and Jenifer?

Jenny is cool right?

I'm sorry if this chapter kind of sucks but I promise you the next chapter will be lit.

The next chapter is all about the party so keep scrolling down or sideways.

If you enjoyed this chapter please do vote and comment and share with your friends.

VOCABULARY:

Pele- it means sorry in Yoruba.

Abi-  Yoruba word for 'right'
E. G you want to disgrace me, abi? Could be said as you want to disgrace me right?

Abeg- please (it's pidgin)

Sha/ni/jare/o- in this context these words are used to lay emphasis. These are words Nigerians cannot do without using while talking.

If there's any word I forgot to explain please leave a comment in the comment section and I'll try to explain it.

See you in the next chapter.