25. Rekindling a New Flame

Start from the beginning

It was actually because I was still coping with my breakup and I needed some space. I thought to myself. 

"Um, that shouldn't be a problem anymore. My phone will be fully charged from now on." I say, biting my lip. 

"What makes you say that?" Alex asks. 

"Well, I say that because Will and I..." I start with hesitance. "Are no longer a couple. We broke up a few months ago. You know that dinner date I told about? We broke up that same night. On the night we were supposed to be SO in love, our hearts get broken." I explain with a slight tremor in my voice. Oh Lord, I'm getting choked up again. 

"Oh, Blake! I'm so sorry. I-I didn't know. I feel so bad now for badgering you about the texts." Alex says hanging his head in shame. 

"It's okay. You were probably just checking up on me anyway, right?" I say, tapping him on the shoulder. 

"Yeah, that's right," Alex says with a nervous smile and an even more nervous laugh. 

I sensed that something was going on with him, but I didn't want to press it, so I changed the subject. 

"So, what's going on with the setup here? What are you working on?" I ask, pointing to his notebook. 

"Oh, I'm just working on a new song, but I can't figure out what the melody is. It's like I have the chords in my head, just not in the right order when I write them down." Alex says while tapping his pencil on the spiral part of his notebook. 

"Well, let's see if you can show me what you have with the chords," I ask.

Alex then takes a deep breath and begins to hum the chords he had sprawled out his head. 

"Okay, okay. I think I can figure out what goes where now." I say. 

I hum the notes again and rearrange them in my head and then I hum the arrangement to Alex, who nods in agreement. 

"That's good! That's sounds great! Here, let's see if I got now," Alex says, then he grabs his guitar and strums the melody onto the guitar. 

He nods in satisfaction as he plays because now he knows that he got it right.

"Alright, now that we have the melody, let's see if we can get the lyrics into it," Alex says as he picks up his notebook. 

He sets it in on his lap, grabs his guitar and strums out the melody, this time singing the words. 

"Where did you come from

I've never seen someone

With a smile like you

The way your eyes shine

Light up the night time

Run through my mind you do

Oh, baby, you rushed in like a bull in a china shop

Something new so quick I don't know but I don't want to stop

Cause there's no chance I'll forget, I'll forget about you

Can't forget, can't forget about you

There's no chance I'll forget about you

No there's no chance I'll forget, I'll forget about you

Can't forget, can't forget about you

There's no chance I'll forget about you

Yeah

Where are you off to

Don't let me fall through

Let's spend a night like this

Explore a new place

Until a new day

Then do it all again

Cause baby you rushed in like a bull in a china shop

Something new so quick I don't know but I don't want to stop

No there's no chance I'll forget, I'll forget about you

Can't forget, can't forget about you

There's no chance I'll forget about you

Oh no there's no chance I'll forget, I'll forget about you

Can't forget about you

There's no chance I'll forget about you

Oh oh, yeah." Alex sang to me, which was so beautiful because his voice reached to ranges in ways that made me feel tingly inside. 

"So, what'cha think?"  Alex asks, facing me and smiling. 

"It was beautiful, Alex. I loved it," I say, reaching to give him a side hug. 

Alex returns the hug and smiles that perfect smile of his. "Thanks, Blake. I wrote the song for a very special person in my life." 

"You romantic you," I say, lightly punching his arm. 

He chuckles a little and smiles nervously again. "You know, I feel like the song is kinda like a pathway. Ya know, a way for me to find the right one for me. Maybe, down the road, the right person will show up and I could sweep her off her feet." Alex explains with a sigh. 

I twiddle with my fingers and bit my lip. I felt like I was going regret my decision, but I didn't care. I've been in this deep, dark ditch that I felt like I was never gonna escape from. Alex showed me that there is hope in the darkness and he was my guide. Alex is the light that shines in my darkness. 

"Hey, Alex?" I ask, turning towards him. 

He faces me. "Yeah?"

"You know, the right person might have been right in front of you this whole time. They might've just been blind and couldn't see the other side." I say, lifting his chin so his eyes met mine. 

Soon, Alex's eyes and mine were connected in a way that felt surreal. We leaned in closer and our lips finally touched in a way that felt honest and pure. We both had fallen for each other and we meant it this time. There was no guilt or jealousy. It was honest, no guilt love. We ended the kiss by staring at each other lustfully. 

"So, I'm assuming this special person of yours is me?" I joke. 

"Your assumption is not too far off," Alex says chuckling. 

I giggle and kiss him again. We hold each other's hand and I lean my head on Alex's shoulder as we stare off into the horizon, where the light of sun glistened on the surface of the water. Alex and I just enjoyed our time together and we sat in silence, but a peaceful silence where we could just hear each other's heartbeats synchronizing. I loved being with Alex, something I had felt previously, but only on a friendly level. This was "I love being with Alex as his girlfriend" type stuff. 

I finally had the chance to rekindle a new flame with Alex without any boundaries or blocks. It felt good. Shoot, it feels good now.