A Month To Live (46)

Start from the beginning

I snapped my eyes open.

'You're a lifesaver,' I said before jumping forward and pulling her into a tight hug. 'I missed you, Remi,' I added before releasing her and stepping back.

'I think you missed my brother more,' she said with a small smile.

'I'll tell you everything later,' I called over my shoulder as I ran down the path. 'Promise!'

I ran to my car and ended up slamming into the side of it. I really had to stop doing that else I'd dislocate my shoulder. I yanked open the door and slammed it shut.

His uncle's house was a three hour drive if I remember correctly. And I had no idea how to get there. I remembered the closest town because we'd stopped there on the way back to grab a takeaway coffee.

I pulled out my phone and quickly typed the address into the maps. It looked like the right place. I threw my phone onto the dashboard and pulled out of the parking space, taking off so quickly that my tyres made a squealing sound against the road.

* * *

I sped down the dirt road, frowning as I tried to remember if this was the right way. I was retracing our path from the coffee shop we'd gone to and was pretty sure I was lost. It was also starting to get dark and I was worried I'd not be able to find the house in time.

What if he wasn't even there? Maybe he'd stayed there one night and left. He could be anywhere by now.
I finally spotted a familiar turning and looked around desperately. There in the distance I could see the house. And the lights were on downstairs. I took in a quick breath and let it out just as fast.

He was there.

As I got closer, I spotted his car parked up too and my fingers were digging into my steering wheel. It was probably a dumb thought but I missed his car. We'd spent a lot of time in it and it'd taken us to all those fun places.

I scowled.

I was really turning into an emotional wreck. Thinking about missing inanimate objects.

I think I was just trying to distract myself from the fear which was starting to creep up my spine. The closer I got to the house, the closer I got to him. I didn't know how I'd even react when I saw him. I hoped I wouldn't burst into tears. I had so much I needed to explain to him.

What if he didn't want to hear me out? What if I'd hurt him so badly that he never wanted to see me again? I felt my eyes burning and quickly forced the thoughts away. It was up to him. I wouldn't force him to listen to me.

That was a lie. I was pretty sure I'd kick down the door and make him listen to me. He needed to hear it all. That way, even if he chose to never see me again, I think I'd be able to sleep at night knowing I tried. Maybe it would help him move on too.

As I slowly approached the house and finally pulled to a stop on the driveway, I found that an odd calmness had come over me. I hadn't felt this clear for weeks. I'd been sitting in my room thinking nonstop about seeing him and now that I was finally here... it didn't feel real. But I was ready.

You could only do so much thinking before you needed to take action.

I sat there for a few more seconds, staring at the lit-up windows of the house. The sky was darkening now. I glanced at the time on the dashboard. Seven.

I closed my eyes.

Then I opened them and pulled the keys out of the ignition. I got out of the car and closed the door gently behind me. I passed his car as I slowly walked toward the front door. I couldn't help trailing my fingers across the hood.