prologue

Do you ever feel like you're drowning? Like, you are completely relaxed and calm and then all of a sudden you can't breath and you're struggling to reach the surface. That's what it felt like. When it happened, I immediately felt my whole world crashing down around me.

Buildings burning and children screaming for their parents.
And then, he pulled out his handgun and shot me in the chest. My heart spilled out and landed on the flowerbed and it took me all my strength for my knees not to buckle and for me to fall to the ground.

'It's okay, you are okay' my mother told me and held the small of my back while I watched the world crumble.

'I'm drowning' I whispered, not loud enough for anyone to hear. 'It's too late!' I screamed, or maybe that was only in my head. No wonder no one listened.

I heard a goodbye and then that was it. The last building left fell, gracefully tumbling with rubble landing at my feet. I knelt down and picked up a handful. 'That's it then' I whispered. 'This cannot be fixed, we failed'
I took my rubble and placed it in my pocket, feeling dragged down by the broken pieces.

A few days past with my rubble still in my pocket. My mother then pulled out her handgun and shot me in the chest. My heart spilled out and landed on the flowerbed and it took me all my strength for my knees not to buckle and for me to fall to the ground. My mother saw the rubble in my hand. 'Silly girl,' she said 'why are you burdening yourself with the broken pieces?' She tool them and threw them to the ground, then we left.

Later on, I answered my mothers question, but more so to myself. After all the pain, the anger that had left me traumatised. 'Because I'm drowning mother, and he was my float'