Chapter 22

“Will you please say something?” I asked a few minutes after I told them my diagnosis.

“Cathy…are you sure? Maybe the doctor got it wrong?” Aiden asked hopefully and I shook my head.

“No, it’s…uh” I started, my voice breaking. “It’s c-cancer”

“Guys? Can we have a moment…or twenty,” Logan asked.  They all nodded and left, he came over to where I was sitting and sat there.  He didn’t say anything, he just sat there, and for that I was grateful.

“You can say something.” I said after several minutes of silence.

“What do you want me to say?” He asked.

“I don’t know…something…anything.  Just please…say something.” I begged.

“I don’t think anything I do or say will make any difference.” He said with sympathy.

“Da** it Logan! I don’t want sympathy, okay? I want you to hold me, and tell me everything will be alright. I don’t care if you don’t think it will be…just…hold me.” I said, my voice cracking at the end and I wiped away tears of sadness and anger.

“I’m sorry, Catherine.”

”Just hold me.” I repeated and he opened his arms, allowing me to snuggle into them.  I drifted off to sleep quickly, the events of today finally catching up to me.

“Is she sleeping?” I heard Kerry ask Logan.

“I’m…awake…” I muttered.

“You have an appointment with the oncologist tomorrow afternoon at one.” She said softly, and I nodded. 

“Go to sleep, Catherine.” Logan whispered and carried me to my bed, setting me down gently and pulling the covers over me.

“No.  Stay.” I ordered groggily, holding onto his shirt.  He climbed into my bed with me and lay down next to me, shifting the covers so that they were covering both of us.

***

“Catherine…it’s time to wake up.” Logan said the next morning, shaking me lightly.

“Shhh…”

“It’s time to get up.”

“No.” I muttered defiantly.

“Come on.”

”No…I don’t feel well.”

“What’s wrong?” He asked, concern immediately clouding his voice.

“My head hurts.” I muttered, my head was pounding and it felt like it was going to explode.

“You have a fever.” He said, feeling my forehead with the back of his hand.

“No I don’t” I said. My eyes were still closed, and I turned over on my stomach, wincing when I moved my head.

“I’m going to get my mom.”  He said, leaving my room.  I opened my eyes and tried to sit up, giving up when the room started spinning.

“Catherine, honey, what’s the matter?” Kerry asked, coming into my room.

“My head hurts and I’m dizzy.”

“You never told me that.” Logan said gently, kneeling down next to me.

“I wasn’t dizzy until I tried to sit up.”  I said and something beeped.

“102.4” Kerry announced, reading the number on the thermometer.

“Ugh.  This sucks.” I whined.

“I know, sweetie. But you have your appointment with the oncologist in about 45 minutes.” She said.

“But…why aren’t you at school?” I asked Logan.

“He refused to go.” Kerry said and I looked at him.

“That was sweet of you, but you really didn’t have to.”

“Oh please, I’m going to be there for you every step of the way.” He said with finality.

“Thank you.” I said sincerely.

“Do you need anything?”

“I want to go downstairs.”

“Are you s-?”

“Yes.” I cut him off. “Now help me up.” I said, holding my hand out, he took it and helped me out of bed, catching me when I lost my balance.   

“Do you want me to carry you?”

“No, no.” I said quickly. “Just help me.” I said, and he wrapped his arm around my wais, and I wrapped mine around the small of his back.  Slowly, but surely, we made our way downstairs to the couch.

“Thank you, Logan.” I said, lying on the couch and curling up in a ball and a blanket covered me as I drifted back to sleep.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey guys…sorry this is short…and kind of heavy.  The next few chapters are going to be heavy as well. Just bear with me.  I will try to incorporate some snarkiness into the chapters, I make no promises though.

Ooh! Who else was in love with Logan in this chapter?  I know I was, and I’m not ashamed (:

Please vote and comment, thanks!