Chapter:9

I sat outside the doctors office waiting to get the ultrasound. I didn't tell my dad, but Cody said he'd talk to him and we'd go from there. So far the twelve weeks have been brutal. Cody said that he felt out of place before leaving to go to another velocity event. I don't blame him. I wish he was here though. I wish he could miss one event to be here for an ultrasound. This is the first ultrasound for our baby.

When my name was called I was led back to the room. This office was so familiar. I grew up here. My weight was checked, then height, and finally I was led to the room with the ultrasound equipment. I sat on the bed as my childhood nurse checked my heartbeat and lungs. She gave me a light smile before saying my dad would be in here shortly.

The door burst open. Cody walked in. He went straight to me and hugged me close. "Baby. I can't stay away from you. The whole time I was worried about you. I won't miss a chance to see if you truly are carrying our child." He said kissing me. I hugged him tight knowing how he feels in this. A throat cleared. We broke seeing my dad standing there.

"There better be a good explanation for this." He said. Cody stepped back behind me staying close enough for support. "Sir. We didn't plan on being here today when we first started dating." Cody said. "Neither did I." Dad said walking over. I could tell by the look on his face that he wanted to throw Cody out. "So mind telling me why you both are here?" Dad asked. I sat back on the bed.

"I otta pummel you boy." Dad said. "It was my fault too." I told him. Dad grumbled a bit before having me lay back. Cody sank down in the chair next to the table. "I expected this after your wedding not before it." I knew how disappointed he was. If he was there, I wouldn't be pregnant. If he was there, he'd make sure Cody and I didn't kiss or even hugged. If he was there, Cody and I wouldn't be so close to each other and the relationship would have failed by now.

He checked for a heartbeat. He sighed when finding it. I could tell Cody shifted in his seat. He kissed the back of my hand. "Looks like twelve to thirteen weeks." Dad said. "You better have a plan already in place."

He didn't even continue only leaving after saying that. "Lacey. I'm sorry. I should have went with my gut and not have given into what you wanted that one time. We wouldn't be in this situation here and now." Cody said. "It's not your fault. We were both at fault. We should have talked about it before even thinking about doing." I said wiping the goo off.

I stood up and took his hands in mine. "You know the one thing you never plan out always turns up to surprise you." I said. "This wasn't planned and we never thought about it. I don't love you any more different than I did before we both found out. I said I was going to take care of it and I am. I love you too much to lose you or our child." He said.

Cody

I told her that and I meant it. "Go wait out in the truck. I'll be there in a second." I told her before asking a nurse if I could speak with Dr. Freeman. She led me back to his office. Then knocked on his door. "Yes?" He asked. "You have someone that wants to talk to you." She said. "Send who ever it is in." I heard him say.

She let me in and closed the door behind her. When he looked he had a scowl on his face. "Explain why your in my office and not with her." He said. "Because you need to hear what I'm about to say and I didn't want to say it around her." I told him. "Please. Explain. I love hearing it when some boy thinks he loves my daughter then leaves her for another girl." He said.

"Like I said earlier; it wasn't planned, but I know how much I love her. I can promise you that I won't leave her like any guy that you know has. She's the only one stubborn enough to put up with me. She makes me want to stay out of trouble and be around her. The pregnancy was unplanned, yes. That's another reason I wanted to talk to you." He held up his hand.

"Your not marrying her." He said. "I know her and she doesn't feel comfortable with having a child out of wedlock." "Still not." He said. "I promise to make her happy and to love her until I die." I told him. "That's what the last one said before I found her in her room crying because he left her." He said. "I will never leave her alone. Especially when she's had a terrible day.

"I've gotten her to open up to me when she wouldn't even do that with you. She's told me things she never wanted you to know. I'm willing to stay with her and raise the child with her even if you don't want me to be around her anymore. I know you know what it's like being around a pregnant woman. She's going to need someone to be there for her when no one else can. I'll take off and not go to events when it comes that time. I may be dropping in ranks, but that doesn't matter now. I'll drop clear to the bottom if it means she's happy and healthy.

"Before you tell me to get out. I only want what's best for her; the baby was unplanned, yes, but it was one of the many unplanned things in our life that the man upstairs intended to happen to us; to test us. He knew this was going to happen. I'm just going to go along with it and be there for her. I thank you for your time." I said before opening the door.

"Cody." I stopped. "If you think you can take care of my daughter, I'll give you until this summer to prove yourself. If I see that she absolutely trusts you to take care of her, you may marry her before the child is born." He said. "Yes sir." I said leaving.