ONE

She was born silent and without a glow. Her parents knew it was wrong and even though her mother was looking forward to her new born she was disappointed. She felt no connection to the child born with no light. The child was Jyn.
"We should just put her in a basket like the other villagers do with their Jyn," the father had suggested.
"No," the mother knew it would be wrong, "I don't like that this child is such a disgrace, but- but I want to at least try to give her a normal life. Maybe she'll end up being a Calas like me and me?"
"You know just as well that that is unlikely. This thing is Jyn. And the Shadow Lord suggests—"
"I know what the Shadow Lord suggests!" The woman bursts into tears, "but she's just a little girl! Look at her, Stephen! She's barely five pounds. What if the Calas-Wolves get her?"
He frowns, knowing that his wife would be upset if they lost another child to the damn animals, "We'll keep her secret. We'll pretend she's Calas like you and me. If the neighbors suspect anything we'll just create some shadows and say it was her. We'll raise her. We'll keep her well, but if anyone suspects anything then she will be thrown out."
The woman smiled and held the baby girl closer, "Can we call her Mila? After my sister?"
"Of course we can. We will call her Mila Lai."