Lynx

During all the confusion, no one noticed the slight and momentary discoloration of the front door of trailer seventeen caused by the entry of the invisible Levantin. He found Sugar lying unperturbed on the small bed behind the kitchen.

"Don't be afraid," Levantin said.

"Of what?" replied Sugar calmly. "You? Or them?"

"Of anything," replied Levantin. "I've come to get you out of here."

"But I like it here," said Sugar. Levantin was confused. The script in his head called for gratitude and eagerness, followed by a brief ceremonial function, and the exit. He had not considered the possibilities.

"You like it?" he replied.

"Yes," said Sugar, barely opening his eyes. "I can lie here all day. I have you wouldn't believe how many channels of cable TV. They feed me decent food, and all I have to do is every now and then listen to a maniac and a thug until they get pissed off and leave."

"They won't be so patient for long," said Levantin. "Your situation is getting some attention. The police will be opening this door any minute."

"Then let them," said Sugar. "I don't care. I'll tell them I live here."

"You can't do that," said Levantin.

"And why not?" asked Mr. Sweet.

"Because," Levantin said, "you've been dead a long time. You might not remember this now, and it might be a shock, but it's true. Your wife had you murdered, you know, by a couple of guys named Larry and Drake. Does that mean anything to you?"

"They were talking about Mercury Lynxes," he said. "Wouldn't waste my money on that. They were the same as an Escort, basically"

"They killed you," he said. "You were supposed to stay dead. The composting people made a mistake. You were shipped to a concrete bunker, supposed to become part of the wharf. Someone fucked up. Here you are."

"I like it," said Sugar.

"No you don't," replied Levantin, "you really don't know how you feel. This is because you can't feel. You are dead."

"That explains a few things," nodded Sugar. "Like how I can watch some of these shows they got on."

"It's time," said Levantin. He could hear the voices outside of the door coming closer. Mole was arguing with Sharad for the key. He was telling him it was a matter of time. Did he want to wait for a court order and face charges of obstructing justice, or did he want to get along. He'd go easy.

"Okay," Sugar said, "whatever you say. I think that I know who you are."

"It'll be over in a jiff," said Levantin, and he leaned over the bed, placed his hand on Sugar's ankle, and pulled. Sugar began to condense. Coalesce. Levantin reached into his jacket and removed a bright red plastic container and poured in the remains of the man. Then he opened the bathroom window, became invisible himself, and departed.