Rocky the Octopus

Ben and Marcus never got the chance to warn Manny, but not because they didn't try. First, they had to finish cleaning up, and that took awhile. Then they visited with the octopus and tried to cheer him up. Ben did a little tap dance even though he wasn't supposed to be tapping on the glass. Marcus tried to tell some jokes but none of them were funny. He was never good at being funny. Then some customers started coming in, tourists from even less impressive cities than their own who probably were expecting something more from an aquarium than a half a dozen cinder block stands with filthy fish tanks on them. Nevertheless, some of them would buy little lighthouse paperweights and a 'Rocky the Octopus' magnet or two on their way out the door.

Marcus and Ben looked both ways before crossing the street and lucky for them Mrs. Sweet was in a rush because she only tried to run them down once. Marcus thought he saw a diamond on her finger as she went swerving by in the Cherokee. She was already in the office on the couch when the boys got to the body shop. Junior Bus was making coffee and offered them each a lollipop. Marcus took a red one. Ben preferred the green.

"I wouldn't go back there if I was you," he warned them, but Marcus insisted they had to see the boss. Ben agreed with Junior Bus and stayed behind. He saw Marcus almost get the door halfway open before he heard Manny yelling,

"What do you want from me? How many times I have to throw you out? Get away from here you stupid kid"

"Yeah, go on, beat it," Mrs. Sweet joined in, and even though Marcus tried to say "but Manny," they kept shouting and threatening to call the cops or tell his mom or worse, like you don't even want to know. Finally Marcus gave up and let the door slam shut. He shrugged as he turned back and Junior Bus laughed and said,

"I told you once, I told you twice."

Marcus nodded grimly, and that's why Manny didn't even know that Sugar had returned until the formerly vanished man himself appeared outside the office door.