Chapter 5 ✿ Sweet Treats

Sakurai held tightly to the bridge of her nose, letting out a tired sigh as she stared down at the unending pile of unfinished scores scattered atop her bedsheets. Isako was across the room lounging on a gaming chair with her headphones on, her music blasting through the high-quality brand headset. "Ne, ne, Saku-chan what's wrong?" The third-year DJ asked, grinning happily as the pianist turned to face her with an adorable pout. "It's nothing, senpai... and please don't address me with such an embarrassing name."

Isako's smile broadened at the sentence, her fingers curling around and twisting the wire of her headphones, wrapping the wire around her pointer. "Oh Saku-chan, you're so cute? Do you know that? Have I told you it enough?" she said jubilantly. Sakurai just scowled and turned back to her "Work in Progress" score.

After a while of silence, Sakurai said, "It's just my public performance. I'm confident in my skills but I suppose the butterflies in my stomach just won't quiet down. I don't perform too well under pressure and I'm afraid of expulsion."

Isako fully turned the gaming chair towards her underclassmen, giving the pink-haired girl her full attention. Her smile had simmered down quite a bit and now it was more of a knowing smirk; knowledgeable with a hint of arrogance. "Sakurai," she said softly. "You're a very talented pianist for only 16. I remember my first public performance, the judges were very frightening and knowing that they'd be honestly criticizing my music made my legs feel as if they were made of pudding. But I'm still here and standing, right? Just do what you feel make you comfortable and you'll do great."

Sakurai looked down at her unfinished score, the notes lighting up in her vision, sparkling beautifully. "Senpai... " her head facing the direction of the 18 year-old. "Thank you, I'll do my best!" she exclaimed, an almost blinding smile adorning her face.

A light blush crept onto Isako's face, causing the girl to turn away for a moment so she could hide the embarrassing red. "Mm. I'll be cheering you on, okay? So don't be sad, Virtuoso Princess."

-

"Alright, class is dismissed." Ms.Tsukio informed, placing her lesson plan back onto the table as the vibrations of the bell filled the classroom, drowning out the subtle chit-chat of the remaining students in the classroom that were cleaning up or just having a conversation with their friends.

Sakurai packed up, her ears perking at the familiar scolding tone of the ginger-haired student that often visited the classroom to confront her princely seatmate. "Monet-kun." the third-year said, a pleading expression on his face. He once again had a box that apparently contained carrot cake, a treat that the mauve-haired artist disliked the thought of. "You have to eat your carrots! They're good for your eyes and a lot of other things. I swear it doesn't taste bad."
Sakurai approached the door, catching the ginger's eyes as she exited the room, only to stop as Monet gripped onto her shoulder.

She raised a wry brow, her patience steadily running out. "What is it Monet-kun?" she asked, her grip on her score sheets gradually tightening as the seconds ticked away. Sakurai noticed the ginger turn his head in her direction from her peripheral line of sight.

"Do you have the study sheet for the upcoming test tomorrow? I lost mine during an art session." He said calmly, completely disregarding his elder cousin and walking out of the class once he was handed the study sheet.

"Oi! Monet, you have to say please and thank you!" The third-year yelled, his brows slanting downwards as he frowned. "Use your manners."

Monet turned back for a second before continuing on his path. "You aren't my father, I don't have to listen to you, Rintaro. Let's go Rin." he said rudely. His feet paused for a moment, his brain in thought. "Thanks, Shirogane-san." he added, finally walking away without turning back.

"I'm sorry for my cousin, he's pretty aloof and doesn't like communicating with people that often." 'Rintaro' said, the tone of his voice apologetic. "I'm Rintaro Tatewaki, it's nice to meet you." Rintaro held out his hand, waiting patiently for Sakurai to return the gesture.

Sakurai nodded politely, taking his hand in her own and shaking it rhythmically before letting go. "Sakurai Shirogane, the pleasure is mine." she said, a stoic expression adorning her face. "It's quite alright, I've gotten used to his personality over these few weeks of school."

Rintaro smiled. "That's good, it'd be nice for Monet to have some friends besides his hedgehog," he said, rubbing the back of his head with, sweat-dropping. "Ah, right!" The ginger exclaimed, suddenly remembering something. The spiky-haired third-year held out the white pastry box in his hand, a light chuckle escaping his lips. "Since Monet obviously won't eat this, why don't you enjoy it Shirogane-san? It's better than wasting it, but I'm not sure about the taste."

Sakurai looked at the tiny, neatly packaged box, taking the cake into her hands and unfolding the lid off the bottom of the box. Inside was a slice of carrot cake with white fondant over the top of it and a cute bunny design holding a tiny carrot decorated on top of the fondant with frosting.

Sakurai grabbed onto the tiny cake fork inside the box with her hand, slicing a chunk of the grainy cake and placing it into her mouth. Her sky-blue eyes widened at the flavors, the subtly sweet carrot pairing elegantly with the saccharine fondant and carrot-infused frosting.

"A-ah, it's delicious." Sakurai said, a small, sweet smile embellishing her face. This made Rintaro beam with happiness. "That's great! Maybe I'll make more sweets for you if I have free time." He said, giving her a thumbs up and a large grin.
The first-year smiled to herself, her eyes closing peacefully. "That would be a pleasant surprise, Tatewaki-san."

"Rintaro." the 18 year-old said, surprising Sakurai. "What was that?" she asked. "Just call me Rintaro. We're friends now, right, Sakurai-chan?" This made her falter as she wasn't used to people warming up to her in the span of only a few minutes. "Sure... Rinataro-kun."

This made the baker's smile broaden as he waved goodbye to his new friend. "I'll see you later then!" Sakurai nodded, also waving goodbye before making her way towards the direction of the music rooms.