Chapter 25: Accepting Fate

Start from the beginning

----

"Hunter?"

It was Cazalon. "Yeah?" Hunter said as he looked up.

"Ready to go home?"

"Hell yeah!" He answered brightly. Ezra sighed. It was Friday afternoon, and the older man's classes had just finished and Hunter was to be dismissed from the hospital. The boy was dressed in his usual clothing and had a cannula on his nose. Ezra had indeed bought a bag (black, one Hunter's favourite colours, with a green strap that Hunter laughed at) where they put his oxygen tank. It had small wheels that could be used by Hunter to wheel around the house or wherever he goes and to avoid strains on his back.

"Very well. Alice is also here," Charles ushered Alice in. She had dark brown eyes, black curly hair, and a black skin tone that Hunter found fascinating. Her husband works as an engineer, and they had a little girl, Stacie, who was now five years old, and was frighteningly wise for her age.

"Hiya, Hunter!" The girl greeted Hunter, to which Hunter waved back with a smile.

Her curls bobbed as she settled herself near Hunter, who picked her up to have her sit next to him on the bed. Both then started to talk animatedly. Ezra watched the scene with adoration in his eyes.

"Hello, Mister Hartford," Alice says with a warm smile, "Thank you for having me and for allowing Stacie to stay in the house after her kindergarten class. She was really looking forward to keeping Hunter company."

Ezra answered with a grunt, "Yes. I am sure of that. Shall we go?"

"Yes, sir."

Ezra turned to the Hunter who was laughing at whatever Stacie said, "Come now, the both of you."

Hunter nodded and helped Stacie down. The boy then slipped on a hoodie and Alice pushed the wheelchair for Ezra. Stacie and Hunter still talked the whole journey to the house and when they arrived, Alice had Ezra go down.

"Ah, I truly love this place!" Hunter cried as they entered the modest house.

"Wow, Hunter! Your house is cool!" The girl says loudly, her eyes wide. "Bet you could bike around here!"

Hunter laughed, "Yeah, sure. But that's not really allowed. Dad and I can't have you bumping on the furniture."

"I wouldn't do either, Hunter. I'll just colour my books. That's what Mum says, anyway."

Hunter nodded at her, but said nevertheless, "Tell you what, Stace, I'll take you to the biking road up ahead and I'll watch over you, too. I can't bike, but I can watch."

"Sounds like a plan, you kids. But Hunter," Alice says, "come here and I'll help you with your things. Do you room with your Dad?"

Hunter flushed, "Yeah."

"Oh, that would make things easier! Eric- that's my husband- he'll pick us up at eight, by the way, Mister Hartford." Ezra nodded at her. She had already mentioned that.

They settled down for the meantime, and the mother and daughter helped them through it. The girl, Stacie, followed Hunter around like a shadow, and Hunter indulged her. He laughed at her silly antics, and was gentle with her. He was natural with children, it seems.

Ezra caged himself in their room, doing his paperworks and his syllabuses. By night time, Hunter was on the couch, watching and talking with Stacie as she drew. Alice made them dinner and it was only then that Ezra emerged. By eight on the dot, a black car parked and out came a pale, tall man who was Eric Montmer. His golden blonde hair was striking as he stood beside his daughter and wife on the porch. By then, they had finished their dinner.