Who Should Be Worshipped?

Start from the beginning

If not much, you are a pure theist if you have faith in only One God and chant any name – Om or Ram etc. - of that God, (even if you are unaware of what the religion is). Without the knowledge of the entire process of spiritual worship, you are spiritually active. Neither its fruit will perish, nor you.

In the entire Geeta nowhere does Shri Krishna acknowledges the Devta. In the ninth chapter he says, “Some people worship me with a desire of reaching the heaven; I give them the pleasures of great heaven.

But they fall from the heavens to the mortal world - ‘Kshine Punye Martyalokam Vishanti’ – but don’t perish; since they are walkers on the prescribed spiritual path thinking what they are doing is virtuous (the action that they feel spiritually obligatory), which is the perfect method. Arjun! In such action, which is considered spiritually obligatory (Vihit Karm) the beneficial effect of initiation does not get destroyed. During his lifetime, if a devotee makes any wish, such wish is fulfilled by the God.” When was such an object everlasting? Hence, such an object is accepted for consummation, but devastation of such a devotee does not happen, because he performs prayers in accordance with the prescribed system. As a matter of fact, the realm of the Brahma (Brahmlok), realm of the deities (Devlok), world of the animals-insects-birds etc. are all the realms of consummation. Only the man is the creator of his ordained actions (Karma), through which he has an ability to realise the essence of the Supreme Divine and cause his spiritual liberation. In the matter of receiving this human form the man is much luckier in comparison with the God, since you are more fortunate as you have received this human form. What do you expect out of it? Till such time your mind is not restrained and all desires have vanished and have attained oneness wit Supreme Divine, the cycle of death and birth will not cease for, even if you become a god, or attain a spiritual state of the Brahma. Its system is – performance of such acts, which you consider spiritually obligatory (Vihit Karma) prescribed by the Geeta.

At the end of the sixteenth chapter the Bhagwan says, “Arjun! You perform your ordained action as prescribed by the scriptures.” Which scriptures? There is no need to wander about elsewhere; “Kimanyèih Shastra Vistaraih!” What is the use of getting entangled into other scriptures? The Bhagwan has himself said, “Iti Guhyatamam Shastramidam Uktam Mayanagh” (the Geeta - 15/20). Arjun! I have enunciated this one of the most secret knowledge for you.” In the very next verse he said, “The scriptures alone are the final authority on deciding in the matter of what is and what is not your ordained act, therefore, you must continue to perform your ordained action prescribed by thescriptures. Neither happiness nor ultimate emancipation; neither this world nor the other world exists for the one who forsakes the ordained actions prescribed by the scriptures and acts as his mind and wishes desire. As such, all of you must perform your ordained actions as are prescribed by the Geeta. Don’t spoil your present birth and the other world by worshipping spirits (Boot-Bhavani).

About the directives indicated above by Yogeshwar Krishna, Arjun wanted to understand, as to what happens to those who forsaking the directives of the scriptures worship with due dedication? The Bhagwan replied, “Arjun! Such a man is dedicated. He would be certainly dedicated to something or the other. The dedication of the people who don’t follow the prescribed system of scriptures is of three types – they worship Devta of veracious (Sattvic) faith, the God of Wealth (Yaksh) and Demon (Rakshas) nurturing covetousness (Rajasi) temperament and ghosts and evil spirits (bhoot- prêt) who nurture passion and ignorance (Tamas). Not only they worship but they also strive hard and indulge in arduous penance. But Arjun, these living entities driven by such three temperamental qualities not only harm themselves but also weaken the essence of my divinity residing within. They distance themselves from me instead of worshiping me. Arjun! Know them to be devils (Asur), i.e. even those who worship gods and deities (Devi-Devta) are also Asur.”