07 - Hallway Attractions

Start from the beginning

I reached out to grab his shoulder, which was a mistake on my part.

Almost instinctively, he grabbed my wrist in his hands and twisted it into an unnatural position, rendering me motionless. I cried out in pain.

"Oh my God, what the hell were you thinking grabbing me like that? I could've seriously hurt you!" he yelled angrily, releasing his grip.

"Not if you reacted like a normal person!" I said, trying to pull back.

"What's that on your arm?" he asked, pointing at the small area of exposed flesh on my arm where my sleeve had been accidentally pulled up.

"Nothing—"

But he was too fast for me. He pushed my sleeve all the way up to my elbow. His eyes widened when he saw the scars and bruises running up and down my arm, weakly concealed by a layer of makeup. "Did those men do this to you?" he asked. His voice was even and his he looked furious.

"No," I whispered, surprised that he hadn't assumed that I inflicted them myself. 

"Where did you get them?"

I bit my lip. If I told him, he'd think I was crazy. "You wouldn't believe me. Even I don't believe myself sometimes."

"Try me," he said, still gently holding my wrist.

Before I could stop myself, I heard the words tumbling out from my mouth.

I told him about everything that had happened the last two months. I told him about waking up because of the unbearable pain and spending hours cleaning up so no one would find out. I told him about being plagued by nightmares all the time, and waking up to unexplainable phenomenon, like my torn pajamas or the blade.

I was almost on the verge of tears when I finished. It was like a huge relief, being able to confide in someone. I didn't realize how much weight I was carrying by keeping it a secret from everyone I loved. I was surprised at how completely safe I felt telling Seth everything, but not Luke. 

Seth sighed and clenched his fists tightly. He was silent throughout my explanation. "This is getting out of control. We can't wait any longer. There's something you need to know. Actually, lots of things you need to know."

My pulse quickened. "Like what?"

Seth's eyes scanned the parking lot around us. "This isn't the right place, but we need to talk soon."

"Wait," I said, grabbing his arm before he reached for his bike. "Does this have anything to do with the men with the crest?"

He looked like he wanted to say something, but changed his mind. Then he said hesitantly, "I don't know."

"But you know something about all this weird stuff that's been going on?" I said. "Like my nightmares? And you saw the birds. This isn't some sick prank, Seth. There is some seriously strange stuff happening, and it's really freaking me out. Do you know what's going on?"

He nodded gravely.

"Then tell me. We'll wait for Luke to get back, and then the three of us can go to my place—"

"No. We can't involve him."

"He's trustworthy. I can't keep lying to him. He's my best friend," I said.

"It's for his own safety. I don't think you want to put him into any danger, do you?"

"Well, not if you're gonna say it like that," I retorted.

Seth rolled his eyes. "Why the hell does Luke have such a problem with my sarcasm when you're just as annoying?"

"Stop trying to change the subject."