07 - Hallway Attractions

Start from the beginning

For the first few nights, I had been terrified. Those had followed me from God knows where and they could show up at God knows when. The most unsettling detail was they knew my name. I laid awake in bed for nights, scared that they would suddenly ambush me in my room when Seth wasn't there and take me away.

I figured that had to be the reason why I've been plagued by terrifying nightmares lately.

"Can I see it?" he asked.

I carefully pulled out the piece of paper and handed it to him.

Before anyone else could see what was on it, he slipped it into his own backpack. "Don't worry. We're going to figure out what they want with you."

"The sooner, the better."

"Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Whispery, do you mind turning the conversation to the group?" Luke asked, raising his eyebrows at us.

"Sorry," I said. "What are we talking about?"

--

Precisely at three, the bell signaled the end of another grueling day of classes. Everyone packed up their stuff and shuffled towards the door. There seemed to be something happening out in the hall since there was a jam in the doorway.

"What the hell is going on?" a guy behind us yelled.

Someone from outside was screaming. Luke and I looked at each other before following our fellow classmates as they shoved their way through the tight door frame. We finally managed to push our way out of the classroom, but stopped in our tracks at the sight in front of us.

My breath hitched as I was hit by an overwhelming coppery smell. Blood.

"What...the hell?" Luke said. "Are you seeing this, Rory?"

A huge crowd was filling the hallways of Belmonte Central High as everyone gathered around, gawking and whispering. People were snapping away with their camera phones, Snapchatting and Instagramming the horrendous sight.

"Are you seeing something that looks like it came straight out of a Stephen King novel?" I asked.

"That accurately describes it."

"Then yes, I am."

Seth pushed through the crowd. "Oh shit," he said, taking in the sight before him.

Dozens of bird carcasses littered the hallway, leaving streaks of crimson blood on lockers and the floor. Some lockers even had their doors cleanly ripped off the hinges. Shards of glass fell from a broken ceiling light that dangled in the air by a wire, swinging back and forth ominously.  

The hallway was buzzing with rumors and suspicions of how this happened.

"What is going on here?" Mr. Grant yelled, emerging from his classroom. The crowd parted to make a path for him. "I will be happy to give every single one of you detention unless you get out of—" He fell silent as he saw the wreck of a hallway and his face blanched. After taking a few moments to regain his composure, he started yelling again. "Everyone start heading home. Bennett, go get the Principal. I trust you know where it is, since you've been sent there so many times. Start moving, everyone!"

Luke rolled his eyes. He gave my arm a quick squeeze before running off towards the administration office.

Seth was still staring at the mess, a dark expression on his face. He narrowed his eyes and bit his lip roughly. He wasn't like the other students who looked on with wide-eyed curiosity and a hint of terror. Seth looked royally pissed off.

He didn't seem to notice me as he rushed towards the entrance of the school. His jacket flapped around him as he raced towards his motorcycle. I had to run to catch up with him.