Sick Day

The alarm blared beside her and Leah reached out to shut it off. Her head was pounding, her nose was stuffy, and even though she had slept a full eight hours, her body still felt heavy and lethargic.

She wanted to go back to sleep but there was a reason that they set the alarm even on Saturdays. She had to get up and cook breakfast. Claire had a soccer match today. The plan was for the family to watch her game and then go to the mall to watch a movie that CJ has been waiting all year to see.

Clark yawned beside her and stretched out his arms.

"Good morning, Wifey." He turned to her for their good morning kiss but Leah just groaned. Her headache was getting worse.

"What's wrong?" He asked in concern. He felt her forehead then her neck and down to her arm. "Leah, ang init mo. I think you have a fever."

"Ang sakit ng ulo ko," she rasped, her voice hoarse. She swallowed and found that to be very painful as well. Tears leaked out of her eyes because everything was hurting.

Clark sat up. "Leah, I think you have what Ceres had last week. Diyan ka lang. I'll get you food and medicine."

"Ang mga bata, Clark..." She whispered because she had no voice to speak with.

"Ako bahala sa kanila. Don't move, okay?" He bent down and kissed her forehead before getting out of bed.

Leah didn't have the energy to argue or try to get up. She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep again.

~

"Kuya, huwag diyan!"

"Eh paano?"

"Ganito kasi dapat..."

"Teka lang."

"Aray! Ateee..."

"Hey hey hey!" Clark's voice entered the fray. "Sabi ko sa inyo, if you can't be quiet you can't be in here. CJ, give me that."

Leah opened her eyes to see all three of her children at her bedside. Ceres noticed that she was awake first.

"Mommy!" Their youngest squealed and tried to climb on the bed but CJ pulled her back.

"Baby! Sabi ni Daddy di tayo pwede lumapit."

"That's right. Everybody, move back."

Clark sat down on the edge of the bed with a tray on his lap. "Wifey, you need to eat. Tapos ito ang gamot. Tumawag ako kay Dr. Sanchez. Sabi niya nahawa ka siguro sa trankaso ni Ceres. Ito munang gamot ang inumin mo, kapag hindi bumaba lagnat mo, dalhin raw kita sa office niya."

Leah sat up and leaned against the pillows. She looked at her children all looking worried for her. This was the first time they've seen her really sick.

"Bakit ganyan mga mukha niyo? Okay lang si Mommy, huwag kayo magalala."

"Bakit ganyan boses niyo?" Claire asked.

"Masakit lalamunan ko." She took a sip from the glass of lukewarm water on the tray. "Clark, bakit mo sila pinapasok dito? Baka mahawa sila sa akin."

"Mapilit sila. They wanted to see you."

Ceres started crying. "Mommy..." she tried to climb on the bed.

Clark placed the tray on Leah's lap then lifted Ceres up into his arms. "Anak, baka magkasakit ka ulit," he said.

"Kumain na ba kayo?" Leah asked.

"Yes, Mommy," CJ said.

"Nagluto si Daddy ng pancakes with smiley face and bacon!" Claire cried excitedly.