Chapter 23

Hey peeps! How are you guys doing ? I hope you are doing great like I am!! Keep me updated by telling me how much do like this story so far in the comments ...

And here goes your chapter..

1 year later...

I was busy preparing for my assignments I had to submit  and prepare for the final examinations that were nearing. To worsen this I was heavily hungover after last night's partying. It was a Sunday today, and that was my lazy day.  Gracia and Aspyn were lying in the room next to mine snoring heavily. Heavily enough to escape to the next room.

I giggled at the irony of it. I remember the scene being the same every Sunday morning 3 years ago. Alexis snoring the same way next to me and I was heavily hungover. Even after an entire year I still couldnt forget him, surprising isnt it? I have heard time heals wounds and I wished time could erase memories too,

Thinking about Alexis reminds me that I hadn't talked to mom, dad, Edwin and most importantly Ally for the past week. I have to find time and talk to them sooner. So I picked up my phone and texted then informing I was busy and will call them after my exams are over, after all, I wasn't going to go home, so Yaa the phone had to work. Only the last two of my exams were left. Math and biology, the subjects I dreaded the most. I couldn't help but give my best shot at those.

I also had a temporary boyfriend a few weeks ago, and two more before him, and always I was the one who broke their hearts. Even though I didn't wish to hurt them. I know how being hurt felt and wished nobody feels the same as i did but I had changed drastically over the past one year. I had become some cold hearted and ruthless person who hardly smiled or cracked stupid jokes. My reflection in the mirror was one I disnt recognise.

I had become like this thanks to a few people. Particularly two. Alexis and Riley.

I studied all day, not to forget those tiny breaks I took in between,  to take care of Aspyn because Gracia s condition was even worse than mine was. Also food and watching cartoons with the two of them were exceptions. Come on, Aspyn needed me to sit next to her and watch cartoons. I can't refuse to her puppy eyes just like I couldnt refuse to Alexis'.

I was about to call it a night when I received a call from Edwin. Why did he call so late? Was something wrong because he never did something like this. Was any of them sick? So without thinking twice I picled up the call in hurry. Anxiousness taking over the control over my body.

On the other side of the line was a person who was drunk, because his voice was slurred in word he spoke. It wasn't Edwin because Edwin was an alcohol intolerant and thus preferred staying away from it. And that voice was familiar and one voice I was surprised to hear. Alexis. He didnt try to contact me or talk to me after that day. Never ever.

" Clare, I miss you so much. You know what, I and Riley had an argument once again. After you left we almost fight everyday. But today it was enough. I really want you to be right here so that I can sneak into your roo  from the window and we xan talk all night again like we used too. I was walking towards the kitchen for more whiskey when I saw Edwins phone. You know what, nowadays everything reminds me of you, every little thing, even this phone. I miss you. Come back, please. " he said.  I knew this was all a lie and he was among this because he was drunk. But my heart wanted to believe him. I missed him too.  Afterall drunks words were sober thoughts. At least that is what I have heard over the years.

So I calmly said,
" Alexis,  go to your room and dont forget to take a bottle of painkillers with you, make amends with Riley tomorrow morning and I am always there for you, ain't I? It doesnt matter if I am next door or somewhere far away, does it?"

" I dont want to make amends with Riley, I want to make amends with you and only you. Why did you leave me if you were always there for me ?? " he asked me like a kid. This was my favorute cersion oh him. Whenever he got drunk honesty shined brightly in his eyes.

" we can't make amends, but you have to make amends with Riley, because you love her, because she is your fiance, isn't it. Thats the right thing to do. And you always do the right things. Now be a good boy and  go to sleep. "

"  I don't love her! I don't want her to be my fiance! She always argues with me and blames everything on me. I love you! I admit it now. Atleast  return after hearing this. "

I wish he would have said this when he wasn't so high with alcohol. I would have have rum back to the safety of his arms this instant leaving everythin behind. This made my heart melt, but it didn't make the walls around my heart fall, because it had taken too long to build them.

" Alexis, goodbye.. " and I disconnected the call. I loved this kid so much, he didn't see it and left me for someone else. It took everything I had in me to cut the line,knowing I wouldnt get this chance ever again. I could see that me going away from him had affected him, a lot, but I could not help it. All I did was kept my stance. It had taken every ounce of strength I had to not accept the fact that he said that he loved me.

And then I finally went under the covers, but my thoughts didn't let me sleep, his words were playing on loop in my mind, not going away for a second

He had said he loved me...

I wish he meant it too.

Hey people, I hope you liked this  chapter. I know time of going too fast in this book, but it's just like life, fast. So play along. Keep loving! Keep reading! Keep voting!

Love,
Pranati...