Chapter thirty-four: Like the ceiling can't hold us.

Start from the beginning

“Information for aid.” “Please tell me that you didn’t offer him your alliance.” “How do you know that?” “He told me. He’ll try to make most of it and betray you when it suits him best. He’s still tight with Victoria.”

“That’s the point, he’ll give me information about her whereabouts.” “If you have him when Vic finds out.” “Please don’t call her that.” She stood up. “Eliza, you need to face the facts: you’re for or against, not both. This can result in a war and you don’t want the Volturi on your neck. Remember them? I do. You either join Vic and Laurent or you don’t. You know how reckless she can be.”

“I remember. And I already got Aro on my neck since the day James turned me.” “Everybody wants you for your gift. Join the winning side Eliza. I’ll be at my hotel.” Michelle laid a ten dollar billet on the table and walked away. I dropped my head on my arms and stared outside the window.

Sometimes best friends could make everything way more complicated. That’s when a memory hit me that I had buried for ages, for reason and I was back in Rome, Italy, 1984.

 I was getting ready for the evening, applying my make-up and dressing up in my leather dress. James was putting on his jacket and he was watching  me from the doorway. “You’re staring,” I said, zipping my boots up. “You like it when I do.” I smiled and grabbed my necklace from the dresser and held it up.

“Will you help me?” He walked up and he closed the clip while I held my hair up. “Thank you,” I said while he kissed my shoulder blade. “Do we really have to go?” I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck. “You know Laurent wouldn’t like it if we were late, don’t you?”

“Do I look like I care?” “I do. Come on, it’ll be fun.” “Okay then,” he said and walked towards the door of our apartment. “Quickly, or I’ll lose my patience.” I rolled my eyes and followed him through the door.

The bar was underground, hidden from prying human eyes. Michelle had given me the address last night and I was beyond excited to go there. The music was loud and the small crowd solely consisted of vampires, with some human donors on the side, waiting for feedings.

Michelle rushed towards me when she saw me and wrapped her arms around me. “You came! I told you it’d be great. Where’s James?” “He’s right here…” I said, but when I turned around, he was gone. “He was right here, apparently.” Michelle smiled tightly. “Vic’s here.” “Well that explains. I still don’t get how you put up with that. You two can’t be together in public because she’s obsessed with him.” I sighed. “I don’t want to hurt her. James doesn’t care, but I do. I can’t break her heart like that. She’s our friend Mich.” ”That’s true. It’s your love life anyway, not mine. Now, let’s dance!” she yelled and pulled me onto the dance floor.

After a while, I went to a human and bit the girl quickly in the neck. Soon, I heard another vampire take her wrist and I got off her. That was just extremely rude, even in our terms.

But when I saw the red flaming hair I smiled broadly. Vic dropped the girl and hooked an arm around my neck and I did the same.

I let go to have a good look at her. “You look amazing, girl.” “So do you, long time no see, huh.” “Bad luck, I guess,” I lied. “But I am so happy to see you.” No lie. “Look at that,” she said, pointing at the dance floor when Mich and Laurent were dancing together. “I thought they hated each other.”

“He turned her, you recall? I guess that binds people,” I joked and we started laughing. “Well, that looks as it’s getting over PG, let’s go join them,” she said and together we walked up to them. I tapped Laurent on the shoulder. “Hey, take it down a notch. That’s my best friend, you know.”