PROLOGUE

// PROLOGUE //

❝you're not my parabatai❞

"Alec? Are you in here?" Robert calls out, walking into the training room. "Alec?" He called and found him training with Jace. "Guys?"

"What's up, dad?" Alec spoke, his baboon stick hitting Jace's. "You need anything?"

"I just wanted to introduce you guys to someone." Robert calmly said, pushing a dark haired kid into view. Alec and Jace stopped what they were doing an turned to Robert, their eyes instantly locked on the kid, who held onto a brooding frown. "Guys this is Stiles. Stiles, this is Alec and Jace."

Robert pointed to the other two kids to Stiles, introducing them to each other. Stiles just stared at the two, before looking down at his sneakers.

"Another addition to the family?" Jace asked, jokingly, trying to make Stiles smile, but Stiles kept his frown.

"No, Jace." Robert responded and Alec looked at Stiles, raising an eyebrow.

"Then why is he here?" Alec asked rudely, making Stiles look directly at him. He his back his glare, trying not to let his sarcasm get the best of him.

"Alec, manners." Robert warned, "His dad is a part of the clave and is at Idris attending business for awhile, so we're going to give his son the best warm welcome since he's in need of friends. Okay, Alec?"

"Does mom know?" Alec questioned, ignoring most of what his father said. "Does Izzy know?"

"They both know, Alec. Now, I'm going to leave him here with you guys, because I'm needed in a meeting. Be nice guys, especially you Alec. Understand?" Robert said sternly, watching as Jace and Alec hesitantly nod their heads, "Good. I'll be back soon."

Alec's dad walked off and Stiles shifted uncomfortable under Alec's stare, "What?" Stiles suddenly said, making Alec glare.

"I never seen you around here." Alec inquired, "Why aren't you with your dad in Idris."

"Because I wanted to sniff Yin Fen." Stiles sarcastically stated, a smirk on his lips watching as Jace chuckled and Alec glared again, "Why do you want to know my life story, anyways? We're not going to be best friends after today anyway." He walked away from them, going towards the baboon sticks.

"Want to practice with us?" Jace wondered and Stiles shook his head.

"I was never cut out for this." Stiles responded and Alec scoffed.

"Then why are you even a shadowhunter? As a shadowhunter, we serve-"

"To protect the mundanes." Stiles cut Alec off, "I know the rules, dark and broody. Trust me, being a shadowhunter wasn't my first choice. But I guess being born into it has it's perks."

Stiles took off a stick from the rack, twirling it in his hands. "Yeah, like what?" Alec raised his brow, suddenly interested in Stiles, but Stiles ignored him, continuing to twirl the stick. "Are you even listening to me?"

"You know, I don't have to tell you everything, Alexander. That is your full name, right?" Stiles stated, not even expecting an answer, "Well then, Alexander, let's get one thing clear; you're not my Parabatai."

"I already have one." Alec grunted, nodding his head toward Jace, who stood there in amusement, watching the two bicker.

"Glad to know that you aren't slow and deaf."

"Whatever."