The Howler: Year 2

Start from the beginning

"It's 'wattlebird' but that's not the point --" Hermione started, only to be cut off as the painting swung open and the hallway was flooded with cheering.

All of Gryffindor House was still awake, clapping and celebrating and standing on various different types of furniture.

Harry and Ron were dragged inside, leaving Amisty and Hermione to climb in before the picture swung closed.

"Brilliant! Inspired! What an entrance! Flying a car right into the Whomping Willow, people'll be talking about that one for years --" Lee Jordan shouted, pumping his fist into the air as they entered.

Amisty struggled to keep a stern face for Hermione's sake. A chorus of 'good for you's and 'great job's went around the room.

"Why couldn't we've come in the car, eh?" Fred and George asked together, matching mischievous grins on their faces.

The two of them were exhilarated and red in the face.

That is, until Percy started toward them.

"Got to get upstairs -- bit tired," Ron announced, shoving his way through the crowd to the boys dormitory.

"'Night!" Harry called back to them. Amisty gave him a little half smile, trying to hide it from Hermione's burning glare and withering scowl.

She grabbed her hand and dragged her up to the girls dormitory, grumbling under her breath.

"I can't believe them!" Hermione exclaimed, throwing up her hands as she sank down onto her bed.

"Let's look on the bright side, at least their not hurt?" Amisty suggested, lying back onto the bed beside her's.

Hermione muttered a half-hearted reply, rolling over and getting under the covers. Amisty shook her head, curling up and letting sleep overtake her.

It was good to be back.

-=+=-

Breakfast the next morning was quite eventful. The enchanted sky about them had turned a dark, stormy grey, reflecting the gloomy weather outside.

Amisty was sitting beside Hermione, nibbling on her eggs as her friend flipped through Voyages with Vampires.

There was a sort of tenseness between Hermione and the boys, she hadn't quite gotten over their choice of transportation.

"Mail's due any minute -- I think Gran's sending a few things I forgot," Neville broke the silence. It was only a few moments before the rustling of wings reached Amisty's ears.

She looked up, spotting a familiar Eagle owl in the mass of avians. A small smile made its way onto her face.

That is, until a package fell on Neville's head and a grey lump tumbled into a milk jug, splattering them with milk and feathers.

"Errol!" Ron exclaimed, gently taking the owl out of the jug and onto the table, a scarlet envelope held in his beak. "Oh, no --"

"What's the matter?" Harry asked, looking at Ron in confusion. Neville and him both had look of horror on their faces, eyes fixated on the letter.

Amisty leaned forward, not daring to touch it.

"She's -- she's sent me a Howler," Ron replied quietly, his freckled face slowly draining in color.

"You'd better open it, Ron. It'll be worse if you don't. My gran sent me one one, and I ignored it and it was horrible," Neville urged, twiddling his thumbs.

"What's a Howler?" Harry asked, just as confused as Amisty. His words fell on deaf ears, though, as Ron wouldn't take his fearful gaze off the envelope.