Flourish and Blotts and More: Year 2/Summer

Start bij het begin

Soon enough, their hour had passed and they were making their way back to Flourish and Blotts. To their surprise, a large crowd had formed outside the doors of the shop. Amisty looked around, catching sight of what was most-likely causing all the commotion.

    GILDEROY LOCKHART
will be signing copies of his autobiography
MAGICAL ME
today 12:30 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.

"We can actually meet him! I mean, he's written almost the whole booklist!" Hermione's voice squeaked in excitement.

Amisty glanced over, smiling slightly. The crowd bustling around mainly consisted of older witches, all scrambling to get a glimpse of the famous writer.

"Calmly, please, ladies... Don't push, there... mind the books, now..." A very distressed looking wizard was blocking the entrance, his desperation clear in his voice.

The four of them squeezed into the shop, keeping clear of the winding line, and grabbing a copy of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 from one of the many shelves.

It took a few more 'excuse me's and 'pardon me's before they made it to the Weasleys and Mr. and Mrs. Granger.

"Oh, there you are, good. We'll be able to see him in a minute," Mrs. Weasley smiled as they came into view, touching her hair.

Amisty fidgeted, her ears filled with the dull roar of the crowd so she could barely focus as Gilderoy Lockhart properly came into view.

He was surrounded by posters of himself, all smiling and winking like the man himself. His robes were a bright blue, the same color as his eyes. A tall wizard hat rested atop his head, bent at an angle that accented his wavy blonde hair.

Another wizard was bouncing around, camera puffing out clouds of purple with each flash. He, very rudely, bumped into Ron.

"Out of the way there. This is for the Daily Profit," He growled, taking a few more steps backward and lining up the camera.

Amisty's eyes widened, shocked at the sudden rudeness.

"Big deal," Ron muttered, grabbing his foot.

The ill-mannered photographer had stepped on it. Gilderoy Lockhart looked up at his words, blue eyes fixed on the annoyed redhead before spotting Harry standing just behind him.

In an instant he leaped to his feet.

"It can't be Harry Potter?" He shouted, his voice carrying over the crowded shop easily.

Suddenly, the chattering changed to whispers and the mass of people parted. The blonde man grabbed Harry and dragged him up to the front.

Applause soon followed after, as well as the clicking of a camera. Amisty coughed as she inhaled a mouthful of the bitter, purple smoke blowing toward her.

"Nice big smile, Harry. Together, you and I are worth the front page," Lockhart seemed to speak while showing his blinding white teeth with every word.

The raven-haired girl looked up at him, sensing a hint of arrogance in his tone. Finally, he released his grip on Harry, but when her friend tried to rejoin them, he through his arm around his shoulders.

"Ladies and gentlemen. What an extraordinary moment this is! The perfect moment for me to make a little announcement I've been sitting on for some time!" He called out, quickly quieting the crowd. "When young Harry here stepped into Flourish and Blotts today, he only wanted to buy my autobiography -- which I shall be happy to present him now, free of charge -- He had no idea that he would shortly be getting much,, much more than my book, Magical Me. He and his schoolmates will, in fact, be getting the real magical me. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have great pleasure and pride in announcing that this September, I will be taking up the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!"

The crowd burst into applause and cheers and Harry stumbled over to Ginny, all of Lockhart's books in his arms.

Amisty watched, her eyes catching sight of a familiar, though unwanted, head of platinum blonde. Malfoy. Hermione dumped a pile of books into her arms before she could even speak of warning.

Struggling under the sudden weight, she fought her way through the crowd toward them, Ron and Hermione at her heel.

"Oh, it's you. Bet you're surprised to see Harry here, eh?" Ron asked, his voice drenched in disgust.

"Not as surprised as I am to see you in a shop, Weasley. I suppose your parents will go hungry for a month to pay for all those," Draco replied snarkily, a malicious smirk spreading across his face.

Ron turned crimson, his blue eyes flashing as he lunged forward. Harry and Hermione barely grabbed his jacket in time to keep him from punching him.

Unfortunately for them, Amisty was left unchecked.

"Would you look at that, a ferret in the book shop," She hissed, feeling her eyes narrow into a glare at the sight of him.

"Oh, and you've brought the orphan girl along as well. Getting her off the streets at last, are you?" He retorted, turning his steely gaze onto her.

His eyes held a knowing look, as if he knew she had done something she shouldn't have. She had just opened her mouth to rebuke when Mr. Weasley reached them at last, Fred and George right at his side.

"Ron! What are you doing? It's too crowded in here, let's go outside," He ordered, ignoring Malfoy.

"Well, well, well -- Arthur Weasley," Mr. Malfoy appeared behind his son, matching the arrogant expression almost exactly.

"Lucius," Mr. Weasley nodded, his usual warm blue eyes icy.

"Busy time at the Ministry, I hear. All those raids... I hope they're paying you overtime?" He dug into Ginny's cauldron, pulling out a worn, dirty copy of A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration. "Obviously not. Dear me, what's the use of being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?"

Amisty felt her jaw drop. She thought Draco had been bad, but she was mistaken. His father was dreadful. Mr. Weasley flushed.

"We have a very different idea of what disgraces the name of wizard, Malfoy," He shot back, his voice as cold as his eyes.

"Clearly. The company you keep, Weasley..." Mr. Malfoy replied, gazing over at Mr. and Mrs. Granger lazily, "and I thought your family could sink no lower--"

Mr. Weasley shot forward, slamming into Mr. Malfoy and a bookshelf and sending Ginny's cauldron flying.

Amisty jolted backward, shocked at the sudden outburst. She watched with wide eyes, unaware of the hand reaching toward her until it was too late.

With a great sense of deja vu, she felt herself be dragged off to the side of the store.

Not again.