Back 'Home': Year 1

Start from the beginning

"There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mr. Neville Longbottom."

She whipped her head around, watching with a cheer as Neville vanished under the throng of people crushing him with hugs.

She closed her eyes, savouring the moment of triumph.

They had won.

Harry poked her, pointing over at Malfoy. His mouth was set in a firm line, anger and horror glinting in his steely grey eyes.

It only fueled her excitement further. She jumped up and down, throwing her fists up into the air.

Harry took her hand in his own, as well as Ron, and Hermione took hers.

They lifted their clasped hands up into the air, cheering.

"Which means we need a little change of decoration," Dumbledore's voice boomed over the crowd, and with a clap of his hands the decor changed.

Green turned scarlet, silver to gold, the serpent about the High Table transformed into a lion.

Amisty spun around, exhilarated. She caught Malfoy's eye, narrowing her own and sticking out her tongue.

He glared back.

She couldn't even think of a nonverbal way to reply before Harry pulled her into a hug.

He grinned down at her, she returned it. Life certainly was looking up.

-+=+-

When the exam results came back, Amisty was overjoyed.

She had passed with flying colors, though not as well as Hermione. It was still an achievement in her mind, however.

Her happiness was short lived as reality slowly started to sink in. She placed everything back in her trunk, slowly of course, and went down to the healing wing for her potions to be packed away as well.

"Here you are, dear. Take care," Madame Pomfrey had said as she handed her the small box.

"I will," She replied before sneaking back up to the dormitory and placing it in her trunk. It was all she had left to pack.

She dreaded the entire trip out of the grounds.

Giving Hagrid a long, lingering hug after he took them across the lake in the boats they had used so long ago.

"Be careful out there, Amisty, you ain't got yer magic to 'elp yeh," He warned as she pulled away, looking down at her with sad eyes.

"You bet, I'll write you as much as I can, promise," She replied, smiling.

He nodded, patting her shoulder and walking back up to the school.

She boarded the train, trying to pretend to be as cheerful as the rest. Each glance out the window was just a reminder that she would be back out on the streets again.

But, maybe this time she would have something to look forward to. She, after all, had friends she could write to.

And one just a street away.

Halfway there she pulled back on her Muggle clothes, feeling foreign in something that had once been so familiar.

"You alright, Amisty?" Harry asked as she sat back down next to him.

"Yeah, just sad to leave," She replied simply, looking down at the floor and fiddling with the golden ring on her finger.

Maybe she could sell it, but she knew she couldn't bring herself to do that.