The Year's Almost Gone: Year 1

Start from the beginning

-=+=-

Amisty was wandering around the castle, alone. Classes had just ended, and after practically begging Madame Pomfrey to let her see Harry, only to be scolded and told he had yet to wake, she had found her way into an empty hallway.

She ran her hand along the cool, stone wall, the gritty texture scratching beneath her fingertips. Ron and Hermione had headed back up to the common room, though they did attempt to get her to come back with them. Her stubbornness prevailed.

"What are you doing out here so late?" A familiar voice asked. She spun around, feeling her hackles rising.

"I could say the same to you," She replied harshly, almost spitting out her words as if they were bitter. "Though, I'm surprised you don't have your two sidekicks with you."

"Must you make everything a conflict?" Draco sighed dramatically, dropping his head into his hands.

"If you hadn't noticed, you're the one who starts it," She scoffed, rolling her eyes at his question.

"You haven't answered my question," He shot back, crossing his arms.

"Can't I simply be alone for a few moments?" She asked simply, mirroring his guarded stance.

She quirked up an eyebrow, fixing him with a glare.

"I wouldn't expect the orphan to want to be alone," He cocked his head to the side, a cruel smirk tugging on the edge of his lips.

And there it was.

"Back to the petty insults I see," She growled, turning her feet so she wasn't facing him any longer.

She set off again, her steps echoing in the quiet hallway.

"Funny, isn't it. I know more about you than two of you supposedly close friends," He taunted, stopping her in her tracks.

It was true. She hadn't told Hermione and Ron about her being an orphan.

Yet.

"I don't know what you're talking about," She hissed through clenched teeth, her hands squeezed into fists at her sides.

"Temper, temper. We don't want another transformation, do we?" He continued, stepping towards her.

She felt the air stir around her, heat sparking up and down her arms like the flames of a fire.

"Get away from me," She snarled, clutching her arms close to her chest to keep as much space between them as possible.

"Afraid I can't do that, love," He replied smoothly, taking another step toward her and leaning down so his voice was right by her ear.

"You must really want to get a bruise today, don't you?" Amisty growled, tilting her head ever so slightly to the side to see where he was.

She jolted backwards as she came face to face with him. Blazing green eyes to stormy grey.

Taking a deep breath to regain her composure, she felt her eyes narrow into slits. A flame flickered in her belly, waiting to blaze to life.

"Still as jumpy as ever, people really don't change," He waved his hand airily, not even trying to conceal his sneer.

"Once a street rat, always I street rat, I suppose," She replied mockingly, tilting her chin up as she shot back the insult he had used on the train.

A glimmer of satisfaction flickered in her gaze as she noticed his taken aback face before it disappeared once he spoke again.

"Glad to see you've finally realized what you are," He remarked, a malicious glint in his piercing silver-eyes.