The Year's Almost Gone: Year 1

Start from the beginning

"We've been so worried, Madame Pomfrey was going on and on under her breath about not being able to heal it completely and oh, Amisty," Hermione took a step back, holding up the girl's hand so the mark was in full view. "You'll have a scar."

"Let's look on the bright side! No one would dare cross me now, all I have to say is that I was fighting something instead of swatting down a flimsy bird," She joked, cracking a smile.

"Honestly, Amisty, I don't think anyone would cross you, scar or not," Ron replied, his eyes twinkling.

She hugged them both tight, knowing she would miss them once she left for the streets yet again.

"Oh, and Harry's alright. Now we just have to wait for him to wake up," She added, happiness glowing in her green-eyes.

A shared sigh of relief rushed from the two of them.

"Let's head down to The Great Hall," Ron suggested. "I think it's almost lunch and I'm starving!"

"I agree!" Amisty chorused. They laughed lightly before climbing out the common room and down the hallway.

Hopefully the school year would end peacefully after all.

-=+=-

The table was strangely quiet as they ate, as if Harry's absence had taken a hold out of the conversation.

Amisty sat there in an uneasy silence, all too aware of the prickling sensation on her neck. She didn't bother turning around, she knew who it was. Instead, she focused her attention on the cut on her hand.

It curved down like a crescent, almost like... the moon.

Unknowingly she traced it with her fingers. She wasn't a stranger to scars. There were little ones on her knees from nights tripping and falling, on her arms and legs from brushing against one to many thorn bushes as she raced from town to town, and one along her ankle from when she first tasted freedom as she leaped from the orphanage window.

It was that fateful night that changed her life forever. Now, this just added to her collection. More to the story behind what made her the person she was. A faint smile tugged at the edge of her mouth as she traced it over and over again.

That is, until Ron nudged her shoulder with his elbow rather harshly.

"Malfoy's been staring at you for a good five minutes. Did anything happen between you two?" He asked, curiosity all over his facial features.

"He found out about this," Amisty replied darkly, shifting her fingers to the side so the mark was in plain view.

"That doesn't explain him watching you like a hawk," Ron replied smartly, a tinge of a joke in his voice.

Amisty rolled her eyes, "I wanted to keep it a secret. Less he knows about my flaws the better. As long as I know they're not true they don't hurt."

"Makes sense... Just watch your back, alright? I know you can hold your own but he's a sneaky one and that look on his face worries me," He glanced back at the Slytherin table discreetly, as well as Amisty.

Her green eyes met his silver ones, and Ron was right. The look on his face was unsettling. He looked as if he were scheming something.

Sending her a cocky wink, he went back to talking with his friends. Ron and Amisty exchanged glances.

"I'll keep an eye out for any snake," She gave him a crooked grin at her stupid joke.

Ron chuckled softly, shaking his head. Dragging her attention away from the infuriating blonde, she went back to her lunch.