Let's Go!: Year 1

Start from the beginning

"Lupus Estaria," She whispered confidently, doing the same wand movement but in the opposite direction.

Amisty felt her body lift up from the ground, and back was the shining white light.

She screwed her eyes closed. What she saw next was a surprise.

Instead of the light shining through her eyelids, she saw the faint outline of silhouettes.

A blurry blob of darkness took form of a wolf... and a boy. The wolf circled him, he hugged it, and suddenly she was on the floor.

On four paws.

"It worked!" Hermione celebrated, doing a little dance.

Amisty yipped quietly, her tail a black comet.

"Why'd you have to do that?" Ron asked, dropping on one knee to look at her.

"Now we'll all fit underneath the cloak," Hermione replied simply, tucking her wand away.

Harry flew down the stairway, blinking in confusion at the wolf.

She lifted her paw and walked in a circle before leaping into the shadows. The only thing that was visible were her luminous green eyes.

He nodded slowly. She would be staying in the shadows instead of the Cloak.

"We'd better put the Cloak on here, and make sure it covers all three of us -- if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own --" He started.

"What are you doing?" Neville's voice sounded.

Amisty nearly barked out in fear, but Hermione quickly stepped in front of her. Like that would change anything, he had already seen her shift.

"Nothing, Neville, nothing," Harry rushed out his reply, shoving the Cloak behind his back.

He looked at them all, barely pausing on Amisty.

She blinked guiltily, not raising her head to look at him.

"You're going out again," He stated, crossing his arms.

"No, no, no. No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville," Hermione replied, her panic poorly concealed.

"You can't go out, you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble," He protested.

Amisty felt a shadow of doubt come over her.

"You don't understand, this is important," Harry argued, but the determined look didn't leave Neville's face.

"I won't let you do it. I'll -- I'll fight you!" He raced to block the way to the portrait hole.

Amisty pawed at the edge of Hermione's robe.

"Neville," Ron snarled, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot--"

"Don't you call me an idiot! I don't think you should be breaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!" He replied, planting his feet and glaring at the redhead.

"Yes, but not to us. Neville, you don't know what you're doing," Ron growled, stepping forward.

Trevor, Neville's toad, fell to the ground and left out of sight as he brought his fists to his face.

"Go on then, try and hit me! I'm ready!" He warned, bouncing on his heels.

"Do something," Harry whispered to Hermione.

She swallowed before taking a step forward.

"Neville, I'm really, really sorry about this," Her voice was strained as she raised her wand, "Pertrificus Totalus!"

Amisty winced as Neville's body fell to the control of the spell.

The thump of his back hitting the floor seemed to echo around the empty room. Immediately she followed Hermione to his side. His pale brown eyes were darting around in fear.

"What've you done to him?" Harry whispered, leaning down to the girls side's.

"It's a full Body-Bind. Oh, Neville, I'm so sorry," She replied, forlorn.

Amisty blinked, pressing her cool nose to his temple before clambering up into the portrait hole.

Her green eyes had dimmed in their glow.

"We had to, Neville, not time to explain," Harry spoke to the frozen boy, pulling the Cloak out from behind him.

"You'll understand later, Neville," Ron added glumly, pulling on the Cloak with Hermione and Harry.

They left him behind as they climbed through the portrait hole, twitching at every noise and shadow. Amisty stayed a few paces ahead, her pelt melting into the shadows.

Her senses being heightened, she could bring warning when the others were unable to. She paused when they reached the first staircase, her gaze held captive by the cat lurking at the top.

"Oh, let's kick her, just this once," Ron's whisper reached her ears and she whirled around to face them.

"Amisty, come under the Cloak," Harry's hushed voice followed.

She nodded silently, pricking her ears to catch their faint breathing.

Soon enough, her paws disappeared. She was safely underneath the Cloak.

Swiftly and mute they crept up the stairs and around Mrs. Norris, not daring to breathe until they were safely out of the view of her lamp like eyes.

Amisty slipped out from under the Cloak yet again, taking back her position ahead. There was no one in sight until the staircase to the third floor.

In one fluent movement Harry tugged Amisty back under.

She swallowed her yelp as she spotted Peeves, instead her breath hitched in her throat.

"Who's there? Know you're there, even if I can't see you. Are you ghoulie ghostie or wee student beastie?" He asked, squinting at them, "Should call Filch, I should, if something's a-creeping around unseen."

It took all her self-control not to sprint back to the common room. That is, until Harry spoke up, his voice hoarse and croaky.

"Peeves, the Bloody Baron has his own reasons for being invisible," He growled out.

Amisty tapped his foot with her paw, a wolfish grin on her face as Peeves struggled to retain his composure.

"So sorry, your bloodiness, Mr. Baron, sir. My mistake, my mistake -- I didn't see you -- of course I didn't, you're invisible -- forgive old Peevsie his little joke, sir," He stammered out, hovering a foot above the stairs.

"I have business here, Peeves. Stay away from this place tonight," Harry continued, lacing his voice with warning.

"I will, sir, I most certainly will. Hope your business goes well, Baron, I'll not bother you," He replied, scrambling to get out of the way.

"Brilliant, Harry!" Ron whispered, struggling to keep his voice down.

Within seconds the door was ahead of them, already cracked open.

"Well, there you are. Snape's already got past Fluffy," Harry murmured grimly, turning to the rest of them. "If you want to go back, I won't blame you. You can take the Cloak, I won't need it now."

"Don't be stupid," Ron replied, grinning slightly.

"We're coming," Hermione added.

Amisty yipped softly, nodding. He smiled slightly, before pushing the door open.