"We want to see Professor Dumbledore?" Hermione asked, not at all hesitant in her question.

"See Professor Dumbledore? Why?" Professor McGonagall replied, her tone laced with suspicion.

"It's sort of a secret," Harry explained, before his face turned pale as the Professor's face soured.

"Professor Dumbledore left ten minutes ago. He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and flew off for London at once," Professor McGonagall snapped, her voice frigid.

"He's gone? Now?" Harry asked, his voice taking on a panicked tone.

"Professor Dumbledore is a very great wizard, Potter," She replied. "He has many demands on his time --"

"But this is very important," Harry pleaded.

"Something you have to say is more important than the Ministry of Magic, Potter?" Professor McGonagall countered.

"Look, Professor -- it's about the Sorcerer's Stone --" Harry replied, the desperation for her to understand ridding of all caution.

"How do you know --?" She asked, shocked.

The books in her arms went tumbling to the floor, earning a flinch from Amisty which she swiftly hid.

"Professor, I think -- I know -- that Sn -- that someone's going to try and steal the Stone. I've got to talk to Professor Dumbledore," Harry stumbled over his words in his rush to explain, but it didn't matter.

It worked.

A silence washed over them, and Amisty could hear her heart pounding in her chest.

"Professor Dumbledore will be back tomorrow. I don't know how you found out about the Stone, but rest assured, no one can possibly steal it, it's too well protected." The Professor broke the silence at last, her tone dripping with finality.

"But Professor --" Harry started.

"Potter, I know what I'm talking about. I suggest you all go back outside and enjoy the sunshine," She interrupted him, stooping down to collect the books she had dropped a few minutes prior.

The four stood there in silence as she left them for the outside before they whirled around to face Harry.

"It's tonight. Snape's going through the trapdoor tonight. He's found out everything he needs, and now he's got Dumbledore out of the way. He sent that note, I bet the Ministry of Magic will get a real shock when Dumbledore turns up," He hissed, green eyes wide.

"But what can we --" Amisty started, only to be shushed up as Hermione gasped suddenly. She turned with a pounding heart to see Snape right behind her, a strange kind of smile lurking on his face.

"Good afternoon. You shouldn't be inside on a day like this," His voice was smooth like honey, with a hidden undertone of menace.

"We were --" Harry began, only to be interrupted by the Potions master.

"You want to be more careful. Hanging around like this, people will think you're up to something," The smile never left his face. "And Gryffindor really can't afford to lose any more points, can it?"

Amisty bit her lip harshly, struggling not the retort. Hermione pulled on her shoulder, and the four of them turned to go back outside.

Grudgingly, of course.

"Be warned, Potter -- any more nighttime wanderings and I will personally make sure you are expelled. Good day to you," Professor Snape called after them, and Amisty watched with clenched teeth and narrowed eyes as he waltzed toward the staffroom.

"Right, here's what we've got to do. One of us has to keep an eye on Snape -- wait outside the staffroom and follow him if he leaves it. Hermione, you'd better do that," Harry whispered, gesturing as he spoke.

"Why me?" Hermione asked, a tinge of protest in her voice.

"It's obvious. You can pretend to be waiting for Professor Flitwick, you know. Oh Professor Flitwick, I'm so worried, I think I got question fourteen b wrong..." Ron mimicked her, earning a hard glare from Amisty.

"Oh, shut up," Hermione growled, though it was clear that she would go along with the plan.

"I'll go with you, two is always better than one," Amisty butted in, and the two girls left the boys as they rounded the corner.

The two walked briskly through the hallways, struggling to keep the appearance of nonchalance.

By the time they got to the staffroom, Amisty's nervousness for their upcoming mission was sending her heart racing.

Hermione and her sat outside the staffroom, feet tapping and fingers fiddling. They occasionally exchanged glances, but kept quiet so the teachers inside didn't know that they were out there. Amisty's heart nearly leapt out of her chest when the door opened with a squeak.

Snape's long hooked nose came into her view, and she swallowed down a shriek.

"What are you two doing out here?" Snape asked, his voice lathered in his suspicion of the two girls in front of him.

"We're just waiting for Professor Flitwick to come out, I wanted to talk to him about a question on the exams," Hermione replied swiftly, the lie coming off her lips easily, like water down the drain.

"I see, I'll get him for you," He turned back and entered the staffroom.

Amisty sent Hermione a wide eyed, panic stricken face, to see the same level of alarm reflected back at her. She raced off towards the Gryffindor common room, with Hermione only a few steps behind.

Only when they were certain they were out of the Professor's line of sight did they slow to a walk.

"That was far too close for comfort," Amisty hissed, emerald green eyes alight with adrenaline as Hermione fell into step next to her.

"And we didn't even get any information either," Hermione sighed frustratedly, tugging on her frizzy caramel hair.

"Ron and Harry ought to have something, right?" Amisty prompted, determined to believe that there was at least a small bit that came out of these dramatics.

"I really do hope so," Hermione replied, her tone defeated.

It was clear she was not nearly as optimistic as her black haired friend. The two entered the common room, to find their two friends sitting on the chairs with disheartened looks shadowing their faces.

They both leaped to their feet when the girls came into view, eyes bright, before that excitement faded at the sight of their disappointment.

"I'm sorry, Harry!" Snape came out and asked what we were doing, so I said we were waiting for Flitwick, and Snape went to get him, and we barely got away in time, I don't know where Snape went," Hermione cried out, both her and Amisty's heads dropping with shame.

"Well, that's it then, isn't it?" Harry asked, drawing the attention of his three friends.

Brown, green, and blue eyes shifted to look at him, confused as to what he meant by that. Their silence only prompted him further.

"I'm going out of here tonight and I'm going to try and get to the Stone first,"