Chapter Six - Camping With Dummies

Chapter Six

Miraculously, we had managed to find our way back to our camp after running around like maniacs. I had thought there would be more damage than there turned out to be, after all, a bear had managed its way to our camp.

We were all still a bit shaken from the incident. Lucas walked around wide-eyed, Nevaeh seemed to be picking at her sleeves, and as much as Zeke tried to hide it I could see him eyeing his surroundings every now and then.

The tent hadn't been scratched, or at least not from what I could see. I was confident that all our supplies hadn't been misplaced. The only thing that was out of order was the garbage. It was sprawled across the ground, all coming from our torn and ripped trash bag.

I closed my eyes and sighed in annoyance. I knew this is why I should have been the one to pack things away last night. Everything always comes back to me, because none of my classmates seems to be responsible enough to take on such chores.

"Why didn't either of you two hang up the garbage last night?" I questioned Lucas and Nevaeh, who both still seemed to be in some sort of daze.

Lucas shook his head and stuttered. "I-I didn't know we h-had to. I'm sorry-"

"You're sorry?" I let out a humourless laugh. "About what? The fact that you have zero clue what you're doing? That you must have paid zero attention to Holly or Mr. Finlay as either of them explained these sort of things?"

Nevaeh frowned. "Trinity, just calm down. Stop taking it out on us-"

I stomped my foot on the ground. "I don't see why it's so hard to hang the trash from the tree! Did it not occur to you that the garbage needs to be out of reach of the animals?" I faced the tree and pointed at a low branch, one that hung around three feet away from our heads. "I've been doing my part every night since you got us lost. You tie the trash to a rope and sling it over that branch, it's not that hard."

Lucas pouted and looked away in embarrassment and guilt. Nevaeh gave me a frown, before shifting her eyes away from mine.

"You two are idiots," I grumbled. "Have no idea what-"

"Oh my god, just stop!" I was cut off by Zeke, who decided it was the right moment to storm into our conversation and get up in my face. "Do you even know when to stop?"

"I'm not talking to you-"

"You seriously don't have respect for anyone other than yourself, do you?" He hissed. I bit my lip and opened my mouth to speak, but he cut me off again before I could say something.

"Just let it go." He raised his fists and spread his palms for emphasis. "Cool down and leave everyone alone. We already know we do everything wrong, no need to tell us again."

I clenched my jaw and marched away. I stormed away from our camp and followed nature's trail, trying to get away from the three of my peers. I was heated, I could feel the warmth on my cheeks. I had to clear my head, I needed some cold air. I didn't know what it was, why they always irritated me, why I couldn't think straight around them.

I didn't know how long I was walking for, my mind was too busy to remember. But I stopped in my tracks and sighed. I was giving up too easily, I should have just returned and apologized. As hesitant as I was, I turned myself around and, after some time of walking straight, slowly found my way back to my group.

The three of them were busy cleaning up. They had picked up as much trash as they could and replaced the torn bag. Everything was in order, but they all wore some face of disappointment and guilt.

I took a step closer to them and cleared my throat, trying to gain their attention. I'm sure they had noticed my presence, but they only spared me so much as a glance in my direction. I supposed I didn't deserve their respect.