Chapter Three

Hunger woke him. Blue’s eyes opened and he was awake. There was no grogginess, no yawing, or procrastination.

He stared at the blank wall opposite and listened to the monotonous humming of his home. Blue threw away the blanket and rolled out of bed. He dropped to the floor into position for his usual count of push-ups. Arms burning, he shifted to his back and worked his abdominals, mind churning with his schedule of the day.

Disconnected information fractured his concentration and he fought to streamline his thoughts into clean lines.

His door beeped and opened with a soft mechanical whoosh.

Bare feet slapped the cold floor, and a shadow blocked the fluorescent light beaming in from the corridor. “Sunshine, Blue.”

“Caesar.”

“Will you be seeing her today?”

Blue finished his reps and stood to stretch. Touching his toes, he enjoyed the rush of blood to his head and locked his wrists around his calves. “It is likely.”

“You remember what we discussed.”

“Yes.”

“I will see you later then.”

Hypatia roused from her slumber and crowed loudly. She flew across the room to land on Caesar’s shoulder where she would likely remain for the remainder of the day, as programmed.

The door slid closed.

Straightening, Blue wondered if confessing his obsession to Caesar had been the right thing to do. They kept nothing from each other, but maybe he had crossed a boundary by revealing his strange feelings and the recent changes in his attitude toward life.

Blue sat in front of his ComUni and swiped a finger across the hovering symbol. The dark screen flickered on and the VirtuaPad unfolded. He ran the programme that would keep his profile anonymous, and typed words that had been swirling in his mind all night.

His breathing hitched and he paused. Later. He would replenish later.