brick by boring brick

johnny had just gotten his chai latte from the cafe he was at when there was a sudden vibration in his jeans pocket. setting his beverage down gently on the table in front of him, he reached into his pocket and grabbed the cause of the vibration: his phone.

'new message!'

johnny stared quizzically at the notification in front of him. he only had three or four contacts on his phone. and no one really messaged him unless it was an emergency...

letting his curiosity get the best of him, johnny clicked on the notification, sending him straight to his messaging app. his heart skipped a beat once he saw who the messenger was.

ponyboy. just thinking about the greenish-gray eyed boy caused johnny's heart to skip a beat. the two of them surprisingly managed to click and become good friends-despite their social statuses.

pony was the captain of the cross-country team at their high-school. he had the head cheerleader as his girlfriend, won homecoming king, and-with how goods his grades were-was on his way to becoming valedictorian. it would be considered an "embarrassment" for someone like him to be seen with a "loner" like johnny, but that surprisingly didn't matter to the cross-country member.

as pony and johnny began talking to-well, texting-each other more, johnny slowly found himself growing more and more attracted to the other boy. he knew he'd never have a chance with him, as he was taken, but he couldn't help but imagine what it would be like if he was the one pony was with.

johnny shook his head slightly, getting rid of the thoughts, and finally decided to read the message.

'pony: meet me at our spot. it's important.'

johnny didn't even hesitate. he got up, taking his phone and untouched latte with him, and made his way to the hills near hanson's.

the two boys had found this place together when they were walking home from the now shut-down frozen yogurt place. there was a large oak tree on top of the tallest hill. deciding that they were a bit too stuffed from the yogurt they had consumed just minutes ago, the two sat down and just started talking. from then on, they had always gone there whenever they wanted to talk. sometimes they talked about everything. sometimes they talked about nothing. but they never sat in silence when they were under that oak tree.

after tripping over at least five rocks, getting his hair tangled in a few branches, and almost falling into a small stream, johnny finally saw the chained-up building. to the left of it were the hills, all of them having a uniqueness to them. one was short. one was lumpy. one had a large rabbit hole near the side. but none of them stood out like the hill in the middle.

it was tall, towering over all of the other hills johnny had walked on. and right in the center was the large oak tree.

johnny had his back against the bark, sitting under the spot that had the most shade. he hugged his knees towards his chest, waiting for the other boy to show up.

"johnny!" he heard a voice call out. johnny knew exactly who it was and was about to ask where he was when he heard him again. "up here!"

johnny looked up, and sure enough, there pony was, sitting on top of a sturdy branch. the cross-country captain began climbing down from where he was, jumping when he was close enough to the ground.

"man you take way too long," pony fake-pouted, causing the school loner to roll his eyes playfully.

"gee, i apologize your highness. i promise never to keep you waiting ever again," he retaliated, a joking undertone in his voice. pony burst out laughing, which in turn caused johnny to laugh. he loved how easy it was to talk to the greenish-gray eyed boy. he didn't feel the need to build a barrier around himself whenever pony was around.