Unexpected Guest

Javi hefted the bat over his shoulder, feeling the weight of it. It was a decent bat, but the balance was slightly off, there was no way he'd be using it for the big game. He leaned over, surveying the array of bats his coach had dropped off for him to test out. He wished he could continue using his old bat but it was getting worn out, he needed an upgrade.

He had just selected another bat to test out when someone knocked on the door, startling him into dropping the bat onto the floor. Scowling, he knelt to pick up the bat, which had rolled under the table. His assistant, Helen, leaned through the doorway.

"Mr. Garcia? I'm terribly sorry to disturb you, but there's someone here to see you."

Javi glanced up at her and frowned before returning his attention to the fallen bat. "What do you mean? I'm not taking visitors right now."

"I know, Mr. Garcia. That's what I told him but he was very insistent. He claims he's your brother? David Garcia--"

At the sound of David's name, Javi bolted upright, smacking his head on the table which he had been retrieving the fallen bat from under.

"Mr. Garcia! Are you alright?"

He waved her off. "I'm fine, Helen. Just-- uh, send David in will you? He doesn't like to be kept waiting."

Helen eyed him curiously, but backed out of the room. Javi lept to his feet, rubbing his throbbing head. He attempted to tidy his desk. He could hear Helen outside the door, and quickly tried to act natural, although he knew he probably looked like an idiot.

The door opened and David stepped in and nodded at Javi. They stood there awkwardly for a moment. The phone rang in the other room and Helen excused herself to answer it.

David smirked at Javi. "Not taking visitors right now?"

Javi cringed, and changed the subject. "What are you doing here? The stadiums a little out of your ways and you're not the type to drop by for a friendly visit-- hell, I can't even remember the last time I even saw you."

David shifted uncomfortable. "Yeah, I know it's been awhile, but there's something I needed to talk to you about."

Javi gave him a quizzical look. "And you couldn't have done that over the phone? Or at least called to tell me you were coming?"

David raised an eyebrow, "I figured you wouldn't see me if you knew I was coming."

"Yeah, you're probably right..." Javi laughed nervously, "So, uh, what was it that you needed to ask me?"

"Oh right. You know Kate, right?"

Javi frowned, "Isn't she your girlfriend? Or wait, no-- Are you guys still together?"

David rolled his eyes. "Nice to know you're paying attention... No, we didn't break up, Javi. I asked her to marry me."

"Oh. Oh! Wow, David! Congrats! Wait, did she say yes?"

"Of course she said yes, pendejo. That why I'm here."

"To tell me about it? You couldn't have done that over the phone?"

"No, I wanted to ask you something. Look Javi, I know we haven't always seen eye to eye--"

"That's an understatement."

David ignored him. "-- but you're still my brother. I wanted to know if you'd be my best man."

Javi's jaw dropped, "Me?! You want me to be your best man? I wouldn't have thought you'd even want me at the wedding..."

"Ah, shut up. Will you do it?"

"Yeah-- yeah! Of course I will, I'd be honored."

David waved him away. "Don't get cute, I can still change my mind."

Javi laughed. "Ah, come on! So when's the big day?"

"We're thinking early summer, maybe sometime in June."

"Nice, nice..."

There was an awkward pause.

"You know I love you, little brother. I wouldn't want to do this without you."

Javi looked away, slightly embarrassed. "I--I love you, too."

"Well, I should be getting back." David started towards the door, then stopped walking back over to Javi. He pulled him into a hug. "Thank you. It... It means a lot."

Javi returned the hug, "Of course, I wouldn't miss it. Hey! This means I get to write a speech, right?"

David shoved him, "Is it too late to withdraw my offer?" They laughed and Javi followed David out of the room.

They definitely had their issues, but they were brothers. Nothing would ever change that.