Chapter One

Chapter One

So, this is a story, my story. If you have ever been a teenager yourself, which I believe I am correct to assume, then you will understand that high school has two paths. One being perfect, a stroll through the years, an ideal memory for the latter of your lifetime. The other, is, well, how can I put it nicely... Awful. I'm Avery, I know stupid name. Why my parents thought to call me after a bird house I do not know but they did. Most people call me Ava though. I think the idea behind the name though was mainly to make me different, unique. The type of name that almost starts off a trend; 'Louisa Heart's daughter is called Avery, and because she is famous and a supermodel, her daughter must be beautiful which means her daughter's name is wonderful and special, I want my daughter to be famous and wonderful and special, so I will call her that too'. So in case you haven't already realized my mother is a model, she still is today. And following that you would assume that I am too, but unfortunately that is not the case. My mother takes to telling me all the time that my eyes are 0.4cm too close together to be a cover model, that being 5"4 is too small to be a fashion model and that my boobs are too big to walk the runway. But to be frankly honest, I don't care. She takes to telling me all the time how I have failed in life by being un-model-worthy but she doesn't take into account the other areas of life in which I excel. I know that she does her best and that she thinks that being a model is the best direction for me to go in but I'm not her-as much as people wish I was, I'm not. It's not that she doesn't listen and take an interest in what I do well in, it's just that she doesn't really understand the boundaries of what is mediocre and what is excellent outside the boundaries of modelling.

To make things worse, I am the youngest of four; twin sisters and one brother. And as you probably have guessed my older sisters, Maddie and Clara, are perfect model material. Maddie has my mother's physique; the long legs, the small waist, the petite upper body. She was literally born runway ready. Maddie has the face, the eyes that are 0.4cm closer together than mine, the canvas like skin, the full lips. She has already been signed to make up modelling agencies and was is all over the covers of magazines. Both were tall, beautiful and successful, so living in their shadows, especially considering they were both above 5"9, was a full time job. My brother was Nathan, the oldest of us all. He's the kind of older brother you see in movies. The one that is so unbearably hot that all your friends come around for sleepovers and just end up drooling over him. I personally don't see this supposed hotness but what I did understand their interest in was his muscles, which were impossible to miss. Nate, as we call him, had modelled in the past, especially for sports companies and surf wear shops but when he reached 23, he just decided it wasn't for him. My mother was appalled. She ended up crying, sobbing about how much wasted potential she was going to have on her hands because it was her fault that he hadn't been raised on the runway. He assured her that it had nothing to do with that but she still cried. Although Nathan doesn't really model anymore, he basically still is one, nobody can take that away from him and for that, my mother said nothing more on the subject.

The difference is, that whether Nathan is modelling or not, he still could if he wanted to. I, on the other hand, could not. To be honest, I wouldn't really want to anyway but if it meant pleasing my mother I probably would. 

Without myself included, we are the perfect TV family. My dad was a famous football player, literally a household name, so was it any wonder I grew up with a camera in my house? The problem is that nobody really remembers me. The Heart family; the football player dad, the supermodel mother and her three beautiful children, already following in her footsteps. Oh... And Ava. It just doesn't fit. And when every magazine article and TV show wants to know more about Louisa's perfect mini-me's, I just wasn't a part of it. I went through stages of hating the fact that I wasn't included, but now I almost like the fact that I'm not. I'm only Avery Heart the supermodel's daughter when I am with the supermodel. When I'm not, I'm just Ava. I do sometimes feel like Hannah Montana, having the best of both worlds, I can almost pick and choose when I want to be famous. If I wanna go shopping to just have a peaceful look around, I would go alone, but if I want some cool freebies from just about any shop I could find, I just beg a member of my family to come along. I almost use the situation to my advantage, I mean, there's nothing better I could do about it right? It's never going to change.

I just sometimes wish that I had a special area, something that I was good at.- a superlative. I want to be excellent at something, I want something that I can do better than anyone else in my family. So, it's not going to be modelling but it could be lots of other things. I just need to find it. I want to be recognized for something, I don't want to be clinging on to fame by my family, I want my own. I love my family but I hate the fact that I'm the odd one out. I never tell anybody who my parents or siblings are, simply because they probably wouldn't believe me, I'm not in many magazines or on TV as often as the others so they would think it was a lie and then they would come to the awful realization that I am that stupid and untalented that I am excluded from my own family for the purposes of TV. I don't need yet another area of embarrassment, there are enough already. That's why as far as the outside world are concerned, I am just Ava Heart and it is coincidental that I have the same surname as the Heart family on TV, but there is no way I am a child that clan, I mean it's not as if I'm a model.