Chapter 25

(Y/N) POV

   I woke up by a roar. I jumped and was completely awake and so was Eragon. I felt like I was finally able to breathe again. That dream was terrifying. We looked over to where Saphira was and saw Brom roll down from where he was resting and flailing with his arms and legs. We ran over to him and tried to keep him down. "Help us hold him down! He can hurt himself!" he screamed to Murtagh. Eragon grabbed his arms, Murtagh his legs and I grabbed his shoulders. We held him there until he was finally still and then we put him back where he was. Eragon put his hand on Brom's forehead and furrowed his eyebrows. "I need water and a rag", he said. I went over by the fire. It was now that I realised that I was exhausted from the dream and from keeping Brom still. I need a hug.
'Vladmir?'

'Yes?'

'I want a hug.' I heard him laugh, and then felt him go away from my mind. I still wanted a hug. I looked over to where Brom and Eragon was and saw  that Eragon was running over here. He started to look through them. Very aggressively. "I can't find it!" he screamed in frustration. I stood up and went over to Brom just as Eragon came running back. "I have the wine", he said while kneeling. I sat down and gave him a questioning look but didn't say anything. "Good..." Brom said while moving his arm. I jumped in surprise. Brom spoke really low, so I could barely hear what he was saying. "Now you will... clean my hand with it." "But why-" Eragon said, but got interrupted. "Don't ask! We don't have time for that." Eragon started to clean his Brom's hand with the wine. "More", Brom forced out. I sat there, just fiddling with my fingers when I saw in the corner of my eye that Eragon opened his mouth. I looked up and saw that he was looking to Brom. On his palm, the gedwëy ignisia was visible. "Are you a Rider?" Eragon asked. Brom let out a painful smile. "I was once... but not anymore. When I was young... younger than the two of you are now, I got chosen... chosen by the Riders to join them. During the studying  I became good friends with an another apprentice... Morzan, before he became one of the Forsworn." I heard Eragon let out a small gasp. I sat there with my eyes wide. How could we have travelled with a Rider for so long without even suspecting it. "But then he betrayed us for Galbatorix... and in the fights by Dorú Araeaba, the city on Vroengard, my young dragon was killed. Her name was... Saphira." Eragon's Saphira and Brom's Saphira. It must be hard on him. "But Brom, why haven't you told us anything?" I asked. He gave out a laugh that sounded more like a cough. "Because... it wasn't needed." He stopped for a moment. His breaths was painful to even hear, and probably worse for him. "I am old, you two... so very old. My life has been longer than most people's, even if my dragon was killed. You don't know how it is to reach this age and realise that you don't remember much when looking back; and also to realise that you still have many years in front of you... After all these years I am still grieving my Saphira... I hate Galbatorix for what he took from me." I saw him looking at Eragon. "Don't let it happen to you! Don't let it! Protect Saphira with your own life, because without her it's not worth living anyways." "Don't say that. Nothing will happen to her", Eragon said with a worried tone in his voice. Brom turned his head to the side. "Maybe I'm just rambling." He looked around without any target and then looked to Eragon. "Eragon! I can't hold on much longer. This is... it's a terrible wound; it's pulling out my energy. I don't have enough power to win against it... Will you take my blessing before I leave you?" I felt my eyes sting. He will leave us. "Everything will be fine", Eragon said with a shaking voice "You don't have to." "It's how life is... I have to. Will you take my blessing?" Eragon lowered his head and nodded, and but his hand on Brom's forehead. "Then I'll give it to you. May the years now forward bring you great happiness." He then made a gesture for Eragon to lean in closer. "It's the only thing I have to give to you... Use it only when necessary." He then turned his head towards the ceiling of the cave. "And now", he mumbled, "begins the biggest adventure of them all..."
   We sat there for hours and waited. I was alone in the cave right now. Eragon just left because he needed to pee and Murtagh was sitting by the fire. "(Y/N)", I heard Brom mumble. I moved forward and grabbed his hand. "Don't speak Brom." "(Y/N)", he continued anyways. "I'm sorry-" he started to cough and then looked to me. "I'm sorry that I never got to finish the story... I know that you really wanted to hear the end of it." I felt a tear escape my eyes. "I never needed to hear the ending." "I know, I know. But I also really wanted to tell it. Maybe you can ask Eragon about it?" He fell silent after that. I was never one to cry, but I did. He was the only father-figure that I have ever had. And he was leaving. Eragon came back, sat down beside me and didn't say a word. When Brom stopped to move, Eragon screamed his name, screamed for Murtagh to help him, but we couldn't do anything. And that was the ending for Brom.

Eragon closed Brom's eyelids. Saphira  roared toward the sky and I felt Vladmir's sadness in my mind. "We need to bury him", Eragon said. "We can get noticed", Murtagh warned him. "I don't care!" I saw him hesitate, but then carried out Brom's body from the cave. I went after them. "All the way to the top", Eragon said with a shaking voice. "We can't dig out a grave in stone", Murtagh said. "I can." Everything went by as a blur, mostly because I was crying silently through it. When I finally focused back on what was happening, they were putting Brom down in the grave that Eragon created along with his sword and staff. He made the stone go over Brom and up over it like a gravestone. Eragon but runes on the stone:

               HERE RESTS BROM
           That Was A Dragonrider
               And Like A Father
                         To Me.
May His Name Be Honoured Forever.

Eragon then bowed and stood there. We stood there the whole evening as the light disappeared from the world. When Eragon and Murtagh was asleep, I sneaked out. I went to Vladmir. We layed there the whole night and we tried to comfort each other as well as we could. And that was how I fell asleep.

^Hey guys!! Sorry for such a long time between the chapters but I lost my book! How are you guys? Was this chapter sad? Does anyone of you watch/read Game of Thrones? See you guys next time!!^