Chapter One

The sound of the alarm woke me up from my deep sleep, I checked the time it's just 12:00 in the morning. So why is the alarm ringing? Oh! I get it, I smile inwardly, I need to go check myself in the bathroom and change if necessary. I'm on my period and its getting me so uneasy that's why I have to change every six hours.

I opened my closet to pick one of my sanitary pads as I rushed into the bathroom. My room is wide and spacious; my bed is a portable one lying close to the window so I have my closet and wardrobe close to the wall opposite my bed. Next to my bed I have a small table with my alarm and touch standing on it.

Now I am in the bathroom after taking a long warm bath changing my pad and getting into one big pajama, after closing the bathroom door, I tiptoed and walked to the window side, the view of the city from my room is so beautiful and I can feel the fresh air radiating through my skin.

I can't get back to sleep; I think I have lots of assignment to do; I never told you that I'm in my finals in High school. I've been trying my best to make it to the top ten students that would be awarded a scholarship to the best university in New York City. And this would be a dream come true if I get admitted to the school.

Since the day mum fell from the stairs and died, I lost interest in everything. I lost both my parent. My dad was jailed for murdering her. He pushed her down from the stairs out of anger. Am never goanna forgive him for that. I have spent the last two months crying since the incident happened.

The knock on the door brought me back, "come in". My aunt came in; she walked across the bed and was next to me in a blink of an eye. "Claire, you should be asleep, it's late. What are you still up doing"? I didn't give her a reply. I just stayed close to the window and watched the street with some vehicles passing. In California, the streets are always busy both day and night.

Aunt Rhoda understands what I'm passing through than any other person on earth. She is the most loving women that took after my mother after her death. Even her husband Mr. Johnson never showed me much love unlike her. She'd be a perfect mother just like my late mother. This made me miss my mum. A tear fell from my eye down to my cheek. "You must go to bed now, don't think about that now. You should know I always have your back and your mother will also be happy if you can stay strong" she said. She shoved my shoulders and gave me a warm hug signaling me to go towards my bed.

I cleaned the tears on my cheek and lay on the bed as Aunt Rhoda sat on the bed and kissed my forehead and nodded. I did close my eyes and there I was, snoring like a baby.