The Ashes

Thank you so much! heolyceej making this amazing cover of my book!! 😘😘

THE STORY OF THE ASHES

*•••*

I looked down. My knees were bleeding. I wasn't able to run anymore. My body felt weak. There were bruises all over my body by now. I looked around for a place where I could hide for a while and treat my wounds.

Nothing. There was nothing but pain. How could they do this to me? I turned back. My eyes landed on the people who were tormenting me since so long. They were running after me.

I had to be fast. I had to run because for all I knew I couldn't get caught in their clutches.

Finally! I noticed a tree. I decided to hide myself there. When I reached the trunk of that tree, I hid myself using broken branches and dry leaves.

Fortunately I was successful in tricking them. They ran past me without noticing. But I knew the fact that I couldn't do this for long. I tore a little part from my t-shirt and wrapped it around my bruised knee.

I took the support of the tree and tried to stand up. I couldn't. I was too tired. And hurt. Not only physically but also mentally.

I fell back. I rested my head to the trunk of the tree. My eyes started twitching. It felt as if someone kept stones on my eyelids. My eyes were burning with pain.

Soon I calmed down and drifted into a deep sleep.

*••*

I opened my eyes. I was back in the dorm. Monica and Elishah, my dorm mates were not there. I was all alone.

I got dressed and left the room. The lonely room was getting chills down my spine. I entered the library.

As I stepped in, I see a lot of people staring at me. I looked at the reception counter. Oh no! It was empty. There was no librarian. I was all alone with a bunch of my batch mates and seniors.

I tried to run. This was the least anyone can ask for. But a senior called Aham blocked my way.

He started walking towards me as I struggled to step backwards. He did not stop but neither did I. I kept stepping back.

Suddenly my back hit someone. That person held my both hands using her arms.

I guess this was the group that my sister was talking about. 'The Ashes'. According to my sister, this group was the only group 'allowed' to do ragging in the school. It had four girls and five boys in it.

The stories of them ragging my sister used to get goosebumps on my hands. The thought of me being in her shoes practically, was something I had never imagined.

A senior namely Anisha started walking towards me like the Alpha of the group. She gestured the girl behind me to leave me and Aham to excuse me. She stepped forward and now was inches away from me. She raised her leg up in the air and hit my face.

I fell down. She raised me by my hair and made me drink something which tasted more like alcohol. I was numb.

*••*